Mountbatten
CARLILE
2005-12-25 17:31:26 UTC
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-25 17:48:13 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
Wow! A tenth cousin?!

That's really not remarkable. Some of William's *first* cousins are
untitled. So, no title just because of an extremely distant
relationship.
Graham Truesdale
2005-12-25 18:37:47 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
How?
Gary Holtzman
2005-12-25 19:27:56 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
No, but Merry Christmas.
--
Gary Holtzman

Change "macnospam.com" to "mac.com" to email.

Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
2005-12-25 20:23:39 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
One really cannot expect a title with such a distant relationship - you also
do not say how and through which connection - Spencer, Bowes-Lyon, SHSG,
etc. - a lot would depend on that.

-- Stephen J Stillwell jr
Hal S.
2005-12-25 23:21:58 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
10th cousin? That is so distant it doesn't mean squat.

Hal S.
Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
2005-12-26 02:49:08 UTC
Post by Hal S.
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
10th cousin? That is so distant it doesn't mean squat.
Hal S.
Well now it could -- it depends on the connexion. A Hessian relative or a
Danish one might bear a minor title.

I suspect that the poster is not related at all because someone who knew he
was a 10th cousin should be able to draw out the connexion on paper (or in a
post) and this would automatically answer his own question on the title.

-- Stephen J Stillwell jr
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-26 03:29:23 UTC
Post by Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
Post by Hal S.
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
10th cousin? That is so distant it doesn't mean squat.
Hal S.
Well now it could -- it depends on the connexion. A Hessian relative or a
Danish one might bear a minor title.
True, but that wouldn't be because of their relation to Prince William,
but because of their relationship to their fathers.
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-26 03:29:39 UTC
Post by Hal S.
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
10th cousin? That is so distant it doesn't mean squat.
Hal S.
Well now it could -- it depends on the connexion. A Hessian relative or a
Danish one might bear a minor title.
True, but that wouldn't be because of their relation to Prince William,
but because of their relationship to their fathers. Being 10th cousins
to Prince William means nothing.
Hal S.
2005-12-26 18:09:47 UTC
Post by Hal S.
Post by CARLILE
hi im 10th cousins to William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor
can i claim anything or get a title or what
10th cousin? That is so distant it doesn't mean squat.
Hal S.
Well now it could -- it depends on the connexion. A Hessian relative or a
Danish one might bear a minor title.

I don't believe the "10th cousin" mentioned any Hessian or Danish
connection.

Hal S.
-- Stephen J Stillwell jr
m***@btinternet.com
2005-12-26 05:21:50 UTC
Depends on whether you consider "Troll" to be a title or what.
CARLILE
2005-12-26 14:17:56 UTC
hey im related on all sides spencer stewart and bowes im William Arthur
Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor 10 th cousin
Charles, Prince of Wales 12th cousins Elizabeth II of the United
Kingdom 11th cousin
Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
2005-12-26 15:00:27 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey im related on all sides spencer stewart and bowes im William Arthur
Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor 10 th cousin
Charles, Prince of Wales 12th cousins Elizabeth II of the United
Kingdom 11th cousin
You do not know what you are talking about - you can not be related to the
people mentioned in the above ways. Do you understand what a 10th cousin
is?

- Stephen J Stillwell jr
CARLILE
2005-12-26 15:11:23 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey im related on all sides spencer stewart and bowes im William Arthur
Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor 10 th cousin
Charles, Prince of Wales 12th cousins Elizabeth II of the United
Kingdom 11th cousin
You do not know what you are talking about - you can not be related to the
people mentioned in the above ways. Do you understand what a 10th cousin
is?
- Stephen J Stillwell jr
i just said im realted threw spencer bowles and stewart im 10 th cousin
to him from spencer side
Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
2005-12-26 17:21:34 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey im related on all sides spencer stewart and bowes im William Arthur
Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor 10 th cousin
Charles, Prince of Wales 12th cousins Elizabeth II of the United
Kingdom 11th cousin
You do not know what you are talking about - you can not be related to the
people mentioned in the above ways. Do you understand what a 10th cousin
is?
- Stephen J Stillwell jr
i just said im realted threw spencer bowles and stewart im 10 th cousin
to him from spencer side
Yes you did - but if you are his 10th cousin - how can you also be related
to his father and grandmother in the ways that you stipulated. Give us the
genealogy or get lost.

-- Stephen J Stillwell jr
CARLILE
2005-12-26 18:02:25 UTC
these are some of the lines that connect me to them

Richard BOWES and Elizabeth ASKE

james v.

john giffard

Elizabeth GRESLEY

John Stewart and Eleanor Sinclair

and hundreds more
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-26 21:00:52 UTC
Post by CARLILE
these are some of the lines that connect me to them
Richard BOWES and Elizabeth ASKE
james v.
john giffard
Elizabeth GRESLEY
John Stewart and Eleanor Sinclair
and hundreds more
No, we want something like this, if you want to prove this isn't all
just idiocy:

John Smith m. Mary Johnson

Jennifer Smith m. Kevin Anderson

Michael Anderson m. Jessica Jones

Bob Anderson

And *hundreds* of lines? I think you're exaggerating here. Still, no
matter how many lines through which you are related to him there are,
that doesn't make you an automatic candidate for nobility.

The point of this whole thing is, you don't get a title for being
distantly related to royalty. You get a title because:

a. You are awarded the title, or
b. Your parent has a title that can transfer a title to you.

Unless you fill one of those criteria, you're untitled.

The Romans and Greeks would claim I'm descended from gods. That doesn't
make me an angel, does it? Being a descendant of Kings of England is no
different.
W***@gmail.com
2005-12-27 13:17:58 UTC
Post by CARLILE
these are some of the lines that connect me to them
Richard BOWES and Elizabeth ASKE
Hmmm. In addition to the late Queen Mother and the late Princess of Wales, this
couple is ancestral to the Beverley and the Rodes/Rhodes families of Virginia.
This means that several hundred thousand other people are related just as
closely to the Royals as you are.

Any distinction which can be so widely distributed is no distinction at all.
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-26 18:06:32 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey im related on all sides spencer stewart and bowes im William Arthur
Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor 10 th cousin
Charles, Prince of Wales 12th cousins Elizabeth II of the United
Kingdom 11th cousin
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You would be 10th
cousins to Prince William, 9th cousins once removed with Prince
Charles, and 8th cousins twice removed with Elizabeth II.
CARLILE
2005-12-26 18:08:08 UTC
going threw spencer line makes me his 10 th cousin
CARLILE
2005-12-26 18:10:45 UTC
going threw Elizabeth II line makes me his 13 th cousin
t***@nyc.rr.com
2005-12-26 20:26:52 UTC
Post by CARLILE
going threw Elizabeth II line makes me his 13 th cousin
Before you apply for a title or some other gong you could learn to
spell.
JA**
2005-12-27 01:37:53 UTC
Maybe he is dyslectic just like like the Queens granddaughter.
Kelly
2005-12-27 05:39:08 UTC
"JA**" wrote ...
Post by t***@nyc.rr.com
Post by CARLILE
going threw Elizabeth II line makes me his 13 th cousin
Before you apply for a title or some other gong you could learn to
spell.
Maybe he is dyslectic just like like the Queen(')s granddaughter.
Or maybe he just can't distinguish one word from the other. His use of
"threw" in place of "through" isn't dyslexia, it's simply misusing one word
for another. Beatrice is dyslexic, not dyslectic.

Kelly
What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
g***@gmail.com
2005-12-27 08:00:58 UTC
Kelly wrote:
Beatrice is dyslexic, not dyslectic.
Post by Kelly
Kelly
--
What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
Both words mean the same thing, according to Webster's.

A case of seeing only what one is looking for, perhaps?

Cheers,

George W. Russell
Bangalore
Matt Lavengood
So I suppose that he really is of the royal blood!
CARLILE
2005-12-28 15:43:26 UTC
hi im 11th cousin to the queen from Willem I "The Silent" Prince Of
Orange 1533 just found out about it searching to see if i can get closer
Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
2005-12-28 16:10:12 UTC
Until you start giving the genealogy concerned you will be ignored here as
you appear to be a simple TROLL.
CARLILE
2005-12-28 16:42:58 UTC
Orange, Willem I "The Silent" Prince Of

Orange, Charlotta Brabantine Princess Of

TREMOUILLE, Charlotte De La

STANLEY, Amelia Anna Sophia

MURRAY, John

Murray, Rachel

Carlile, James

Carlile, William

Carlile, Samuel L

Carlile, William j.

Carlile, John

Carlile, Mark
CARLILE
2005-12-28 16:48:00 UTC
i forgot to put in one

Orange, Willem I "The Silent" Prince Of

Orange, Charlotta Brabantine Princess Of

TREMOUILLE, Charlotte De La

STANLEY, Amelia Anna Sophia

MURRAY, John

Murray, Rachel

Carlile, James

Carlile, William

Carlile, James Theodore Thader

Carlile, Samuel L

Carlile, William j.

Carlile, John

Carlile, Mark
Gillian White
2005-12-28 17:50:46 UTC
Post by CARLILE
Orange, Willem I "The Silent" Prince Of

Orange, Charlotta Brabantine Princess Of

TREMOUILLE, Charlotte De La

STANLEY, Amelia Anna Sophia

MURRAY, John

Murray, Rachel
This is where my records fail. I can't find a Rachel Murray who is the
daughter of John Murray. What year was she born in?

Your title would have to come from the Carlile family. If it doesn't have
one, you're out of luck.

Gillian
CARLILE
2005-12-28 18:02:21 UTC
hey thanks i will keep lookin to see if i can find a tilte on the
carlile side
CARLILE
2005-12-28 18:23:13 UTC
hey it Susan Murray sorry born 15 Apr 1699
t***@comcast.net
2005-12-28 18:55:40 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey it Susan Murray sorry born 15 Apr 1699
Susan Murray b. 15 Apr 1699 did not marry a Carlile - she married a
Gordon and had one daughter - that Gordon daughter did not marry a
Carlile.

What is your source for these names?

The Verminator
CARLILE
2005-12-28 19:01:13 UTC
i know it is Rachel or Susan born 1690/1700 in Huntingtower, Perth,
Scotland
CARLILE
2005-12-28 19:38:28 UTC
how does the titles past down do they just go to the oldest child or
what
CARLILE
2005-12-28 20:06:32 UTC
hey it would be alot easier to do a dna test then look all the family
history up alot of it is lost for ever or purposly lost for ever
and i already had one done for my ancestry so we could compare them to
the queen or who ever.
Gary Holtzman
2005-12-29 01:24:35 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey it would be alot easier to do a dna test then look all the family
history up alot of it is lost for ever or purposly lost for ever
and i already had one done for my ancestry so we could compare them to
the queen or who ever.
DNA isn't really relevant. Transmission of titles depends on who was married to whom,
not just other unmentionable activities.

CARLILE
2005-12-29 05:36:55 UTC
someone can be married to someone and still cheat on them and have a
kid from someone else should they get a tile.
dna is the key to prove who is actually royalty and it will prove that
the paper work was wrong as well because anyone can makeup paperwork.
so dna is what they should be using to determine the succession line
because there are alot of cheating spouses as well.
Cyli
2005-12-29 10:21:11 UTC
Post by CARLILE
someone can be married to someone and still cheat on them and have a
kid from someone else should they get a tile.
Working my way through the grammar and spelling, I assume you're
asking if a child of the wife of a titled man should be in line to
receive his mother's husband's title, whoever it was that gave her the
sperm for the child. The answer is: Yes.
Post by CARLILE
dna is the key to prove who is actually royalty and it will prove that
the paper work was wrong as well because anyone can makeup paperwork.
so dna is what they should be using to determine the succession line
because there are alot of cheating spouses as well.
You'd probably know more about the amount of cheating going on in the
world than I would, but it doesn't matter. The title passes to the
acknowledged child, unless higher authority intervenes. That higher
authority would depend on what country the titles were from and what,
if any, authority anyone had over it.

All that is some of the reason that young women were kept sequestered
until they were presented to society, kept well chaperoned while being
courted, and generally watched until they'd produced an heir.
Sometimes watched all their lives.

I doubt you'll get anywhere with trying to get DNA to prove
bloodlines. Neither royalty nor nobility are likely to agree to
anything like that for digging into their pasts. Possibly it will be
a legal issue at some time in the future. But it would take a big
scandal to bring it up. One where some titled man would refuse to
acknowledge a child of his wife.

Other way around, with someone coming forth and saying he / she was
the illegitimate child of some titled person would only be of interest
to the cheap news media and that would disappear pretty rapidly.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: ***@gmail.com.invalid (strip the .invalid to email)
Gary Holtzman
2005-12-29 16:09:03 UTC
Post by CARLILE
someone can be married to someone and still cheat on them and have a
kid from someone else should they get a tile.
I don't know about tiles, but as for titles, cheating is not relevant. It doesn't matter who
donates the sperm, it matters to whom the mother is married, unless the husband legally
repudiates the child.

If, for example, Lady Carlile has a son who looks an awful lot like her footman, he is still
considered Lord Carlile's son.

CARLILE
2005-12-29 16:52:06 UTC
so what your saying is say a bum could have sex with a princess thats
already married and they have a kid and then she becames a queen the
kid will became a prince or a princess that is a bunch of bull shit
they need to find a way to control stuff like that from happening dna
is the only way.

if you beleive thats how it should be then you are f.u.c.k.i.n Crack
head
Gillian White
2005-12-29 18:06:51 UTC
Post by CARLILE
if you beleive thats how it should be then you are f.u.c.k.i.n Crack
head
Okay dokey. Into the plonked troll basket you go....

Gillian
Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
2005-12-29 18:33:23 UTC
Post by CARLILE
so what your saying is say a bum could have sex with a princess thats
already married and they have a kid and then she becames a queen the
kid will became a prince or a princess that is a bunch of bull shit
they need to find a way to control stuff like that from happening dna
is the only way.
if you beleive thats how it should be then you are f.u.c.k.i.n Crack
head
Whether it should be that way or not, is irrelevant. The point is that
legally that is the way it is and it does not just apply to title holders.
The child or children of a woman are legally the child or children of the
man to whom which she is married at the time of their conception regardless
of who the biological father might be.

In Islam, by the way, there is the theory of the sleeping fetus. That means
that a man is legally the father of a child of a unmarried woman to whom he
was once married even if that child is born three years after the divorce.
The idea of patrimony is so strong that the biological realities were
overlooked - it is assumed that the actual conception took place before the
divorce and that the fetus went to sleep rather than developed normally.

-- Stephen J Stillwell jr
CARLILE
2005-12-29 21:37:59 UTC
10th cousin's to the queen

John Spencer and Catherine (Katherine) Kitson

Alice Spencer

John Clark

Mary Clark

Ebenezer Morgan

Catherine Morgan

Lavina Cooley

Mark Carlile
m***@btinternet.com
2005-12-30 00:15:32 UTC
Post by CARLILE
10th cousin's to the queen
John Spencer and Catherine (Katherine) Kitson

Alice Spencer

John Clark
This line also seems to be erroneous: Alice (d 1637), daughter of Sir
John Spencer and Katherine nee Kitson, married firstly Ferdinando
Stanley, 5th Earl of Derby (d 1594), and 2ndly Thomas Egerton, 1st
Viscount Brackley (d 1617). Where do the Clarks fit in?
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-29 21:59:30 UTC
Post by CARLILE
so what your saying is say a bum could have sex with a princess thats
already married and they have a kid and then she becames a queen the
kid will became a prince or a princess that is a bunch of bull shit
they need to find a way to control stuff like that from happening dna
is the only way.
if you beleive thats how it should be then you are f.u.c.k.i.n Crack
head
Okay, now that you have started calling people "fuckin crack heads", I
have no qualms about saying this. You are an idiot. You will never get
a title. Titles are supposed to be held by sophisticated and respected
people, not imbeciles like you. I have no more interest in listening to
your claims of nobility.
CARLILE
2005-12-29 22:10:14 UTC
hey if you were try to get help and people are calling names what would
do you would get mad and start calling them names back its a natural
reaction.
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-29 22:14:54 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey if you were try to get help and people are calling names what would
do you would get mad and start calling them names back its a natural
reaction.
Yes, but you are really acting like an insufferable moron. It's also a
natural reaction to point out what is true.
CARLILE
2005-12-29 22:27:19 UTC
am i being that intolerable because i post a couple of names and i was
call dyslexic i dont know were you came from but that's an insolt
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-29 23:23:54 UTC
I wonder what an insolt is? Maybe it has something to do with insoles...
m***@btinternet.com
2005-12-30 00:04:49 UTC
Look's more like a diagnosis to me.
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-30 03:19:52 UTC
That post just gave me a good laugh. Thanks.
Gary Holtzman
2005-12-30 00:52:48 UTC
Post by Matt Lavengood
Okay, now that you have started calling people "fuckin crack heads", I
have no qualms about saying this. You are an idiot. You will never get
a title. Titles are supposed to be held by sophisticated and respected
people, not imbeciles like you. I have no more interest in listening to
your claims of nobility.
I do not disagree with your characterization of the previous poster, but please keep in
mind that hereditary titles have nothing to do with the inheritor being "sophisticated and
respected". Imbeciles, and for that matter crackheads, criminals and the suchlike, are
all capable of inheriting titles.

Matt Lavengood
2005-12-30 03:18:07 UTC
Post by Gary Holtzman
Post by Matt Lavengood
Okay, now that you have started calling people "fuckin crack heads", I
have no qualms about saying this. You are an idiot. You will never get
a title. Titles are supposed to be held by sophisticated and respected
people, not imbeciles like you. I have no more interest in listening to
your claims of nobility.
I do not disagree with your characterization of the previous poster, but please keep in
mind that hereditary titles have nothing to do with the inheritor being "sophisticated and
respected". Imbeciles, and for that matter crackheads, criminals and the suchlike, are
all capable of inheriting titles.
Yes, but titles are awarded to respectable people, and usually (though
not always) respectable people have respectable families.
Gary Holtzman
2005-12-30 03:56:18 UTC
Post by Matt Lavengood
Post by Gary Holtzman
I have no qualms about saying this. You are an idiot. You will never
get a title. Titles are supposed to be held by sophisticated and
respected people, not imbeciles like you.
I do not disagree with your characterization of the previous poster,
but please keep in mind that hereditary titles have nothing to do with
the inheritor being "sophisticated and respected". Imbeciles, and for
that matter crackheads, criminals and the suchlike, are all capable of
inheriting titles.
Yes, but titles are awarded to respectable people, and usually (though
not always) respectable people have respectable families.
There are numerous examples of titles being awarded to people who are not quite
respectable -- any number of royal mistresses come to mind. As for respectable people
having respectable families, there are, sadly, many examples to disprove this as well.

You have stated the ideal, and a noble one it is; unfortunately, politics and lust both have
a way of making the reality more ambiguous.

Gill W
2005-12-30 08:37:15 UTC
Post by Gary Holtzman
Post by Matt Lavengood
Post by Gary Holtzman
I have no qualms about saying this. You are an idiot. You will never
get a title. Titles are supposed to be held by sophisticated and
respected people, not imbeciles like you.
I do not disagree with your characterization of the previous poster,
but please keep in mind that hereditary titles have nothing to do with
the inheritor being "sophisticated and respected". Imbeciles, and for
that matter crackheads, criminals and the suchlike, are all capable of
inheriting titles.
Yes, but titles are awarded to respectable people, and usually (though
not always) respectable people have respectable families.
There are numerous examples of titles being awarded to people who are not quite
respectable -- any number of royal mistresses come to mind.
..Duchess of Cornwall, for example...?
;-)
--
Gill W

Life is not a rehearsal.
Take time out to smell the flowers & enjoy the sunset.

As for respectable people
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-30 19:43:59 UTC
Post by Gary Holtzman
Post by Matt Lavengood
Post by Gary Holtzman
[...]
The mistress thing is quite true. And the family as well; one
immediate thing that comes to my mind would be Mark Thatcher, Bt.
CARLILE
2005-12-31 19:34:38 UTC
hey you told me to find titles on the carlile side well i found Lord of
Carlyle and lord of de Karleolo which is another way of spelling carlile
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-31 20:05:07 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey you told me to find titles on the carlile side well i found Lord of
Carlyle and lord of de Karleolo which is another way of spelling carlile
Great. Now prove that they are actually from your family and that you
are the single most senior male-line legitimate descendant of one of
those lords and you can claim the title.
Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
2005-12-31 20:05:36 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey you told me to find titles on the carlile side well i found Lord of
Carlyle and lord of de Karleolo which is another way of spelling carlile
But how are you related to them? Just finding someone who has a similiar
name means nothing. And if you check I think that you will find that the
title and the person's surname are not necessarily the same. The Earl of
Carlisle has the surname of Howard.

You need to learn a lot and pay closer attention to what the people here are
telling you.

-- Stephen J Stillwell jr
CARLILE
2005-12-31 20:40:40 UTC
de Karleolo, Hildred or Maldred(Malcolm) King Of England Earl of
Cumbria de Karleolo lord of Carlyle

Carlyle, Odard lord of Carlyle

de Carliell, Robert Sheriff of Cumberland

de Carliell, Adam

de Carliell, Eudo

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, William

de Carlyle, John

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, John

de Carliell, William Lord of Torthorwald
| |
Carlyle, Adam Carlyle, John Lord Carlyle of Torthorwald
| |
| Carlyle, Catherine
| |
Carlyle, Adam Carruthers, Ellen
| |
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------

Carlyle, Adam

Carlyle, Edward

Carlyle, Adam

Carlyle, Edward

Carlyle, Adam

Carlyle, William

Carlyle, James

Carlile, William

Carlile, James Theodore Thader

Carlile, Samuel L

Carlile, William j.

Carlile, John

Carlile, Mark

and it is a dormant title. Lord Carlyle but im still researching to
find out if they had more titles
CARLILE
2005-12-31 20:47:21 UTC
if you want to read a little about the history of it and how the title
is dormant go to http://www.colonialcdbooks.com/early_history.htm
CARLILE
2005-12-31 20:49:08 UTC
i think i have a very good claim to the title
CARLILE
2005-12-31 21:22:14 UTC
and all other lines beside my own all died off
Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
2005-12-31 21:55:37 UTC
Post by CARLILE
de Karleolo, Hildred or Maldred(Malcolm) King Of England Earl of
Cumbria de Karleolo lord of Carlyle

Carlyle, Odard lord of Carlyle

de Carliell, Robert Sheriff of Cumberland

de Carliell, Adam

de Carliell, Eudo

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, William

de Carlyle, John

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, John

de Carliell, William Lord of Torthorwald
| |
Carlyle, Adam Carlyle, John Lord Carlyle of Torthorwald
| |
| Carlyle, Catherine
| |
Carlyle, Adam Carruthers, Ellen
| |
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------

Carlyle, Adam

Carlyle, Edward

Carlyle, Adam

Carlyle, Edward

Carlyle, Adam

Carlyle, William

Carlyle, James

Carlile, William

Carlile, James Theodore Thader

Carlile, Samuel L

Carlile, William j.

Carlile, John

Carlile, Mark
and it is a dormant title. Lord Carlyle but im still researching to
find out if they had more titles
Now you MUST PROVE that each male in the line IS the eldest legitimate male
child** of the man before him in the list by that man's first wife. This
will require church documents and other records.

** You MUST note in your claim any older male sibling who died without issue
& MUST also PROVE that that older male sibling did NOT in fact have issue.

Then you MUST attach birth (or infant baptism), marriage, and death dates to
everyone on the list. And also add the names of the wives of each.

In other words, you must have a complete genealogy showing all of the
descendants - living and dead with spouses and dates of this imaginary
Hildred / Maldred / Malcolm King of England. I say imaginary because no list
of kings of England that I have ever seen includes such a person.

-- Stephen J Stillwell jr
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-31 23:12:47 UTC
Post by CARLILE
de Karleolo, Hildred or Maldred(Malcolm) King Of England Earl of
Cumbria de Karleolo lord of Carlyle

Carlyle, Odard lord of Carlyle

de Carliell, Robert Sheriff of Cumberland

de Carliell, Adam

de Carliell, Eudo

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, William

de Carlyle, John

de Carliell, William

de Carliell, John

de Carliell, William Lord of Torthorwald
| |
Carlyle, Adam Carlyle, John Lord Carlyle of Torthorwald
| |
| Carlyle, Catherine
| |
[...]
Proving a claim to a title is quite exhausting work, I'm sure.
Perhaps he means a King of Scotland?
CARLILE
2005-12-31 23:32:45 UTC
who would i have to show or prove it to
Gary Holtzman
2006-01-01 00:16:31 UTC
Post by CARLILE
who would i have to show or prove it to
The House of Lords

Don Aitken
2005-12-31 23:40:19 UTC
Post by Matt Lavengood
Post by Stephen Stillwell / Tom Wilding
In other words, you must have a complete genealogy showing all of the
descendants - living and dead with spouses and dates of this imaginary
Hildred / Maldred / Malcolm King of England. I say imaginary because no list
of kings of England that I have ever seen includes such a person.
Perhaps he means a King of Scotland?
I'm fairly sure he means Maldred of Allerdale, younger brother of King
Duncan I, who is sometimes called king of Strathclyde. His wife,
Edith, is said to be a granddaughter of Waltheof. But the connection
of the Carlyles with either is unproved. Stirnet merely calls it
"possible". The Carlyles are at
http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/cc4aq/carlyle1.htm and
http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/cc4aq/carlyle2.htm but
without some dates it is a bit difficult to work out which of the
Lords Torthorwald he is referring to, or where the descent he gives
diverges from what Stirnet gives. The peerage passed through a female
line to the Douglases of Morton and has been dormant since the early
17th century; the most likely heirs would be the Lockharts of Lee.
--
Don Aitken
Mail to the From: address is not read.
To email me, substitute "clara.co.uk" for "freeuk.com"
m***@btinternet.com
2006-01-01 00:56:47 UTC
Post by CARLILE
de Karleolo, Hildred or Maldred(Malcolm) King Of England Earl of
Cumbria de Karleolo lord of Carlyle
(snip)
Post by CARLILE

Carlile, Mark
and it is a dormant title. Lord Carlyle but im still researching to
find out if they had more titles
Your previous genealogies (being erroneous) do not inspire confidence
in this one. What is the remainder to this particular title? I can't
find any reference to a Catherine Carlyle among the daughters of the
1st Lord, nor to one of his daughters having married a Carruthers; in
any case, such a close relationship - first cousins once removed -
would have been highly irregular at that time and would have required
dispensation to be legal.
CARLILE
2006-01-01 16:20:19 UTC
they talk about her as well
http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/cc4aq/carlyle2.htm Catherine
Carlyle was the daughter of John Carlyle and he was married to a janet.
catherine married Simon Carruthers born about 1420
Don Aitken
2006-01-01 17:09:46 UTC
Post by CARLILE
they talk about her as well
http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/cc4aq/carlyle2.htm Catherine
Carlyle was the daughter of John Carlyle and he was married to a janet.
catherine married Simon Carruthers born about 1420
He notes a contradiction in his sources at this point. The attribution
of this Catherine to the first Lord comes from the 1883 edition of
Burke's Peerage. The Scottish Peerage has her as the daughter of the
2nd Lord, two generations later. This discrepancy is important,
because the 2nd Lord was not married until 1487, which makes it pretty
well impossible for his daughter to marry somebody born in 1420. The
marriage of Adam Carlyle and Ellen Carruthers is given as c.1502,
which, if Ellen was the daughter of Catherine, also supportes the
later date.

As between the two sources, TSP is usually regarded as the more
reliable, which is why he uses its data in the actual table. Burkes
1883 is notorious for the amount of fiction it contains.

By way of a tie-breaker, I will look at what the Complete Peerage,
which is usually reckoned as the best source on peerage familis, has
to say, although it may not help, since it doesn't always list all
children of peers. This involves a visit to my local librarry, and
will take a few days.

What are your sources on the Carruthers family and the Carlyles of
Bridekirk?
CARLILE
2006-01-01 17:53:29 UTC
hey i just found this Adam received a dispensation from Pope Alexander
VI dated 1 7 Feb 1502 permitting the marriage between Adam and his
first cousin Ellen
CARLILE
2006-01-01 23:26:14 UTC
Sources:

Repository:
Name: Carol Jo (Huffington) Menges
Post Falls, Idaho 83854
USA
***@isp.com

Title: Road to the Carlisles, The
Author: Peter Cox
Publication: sent to me via e-mail attachment
Text: Simplified Possible Line of Descent [this titles the page of
descendancy towards Betty Walke r b. 1919]
Page: p. 9 of 11
Note: Date and place are not given.
Date: 23 Aug 2001
Title: Extrapolated or estimated from related sources - cj
Date: 23 Aug 2001
Repository:
Name: Carol Jo (Huffington) Menges
Post Falls, Idaho 83854
USA
***@isp.com

Title: Collections for a History of the Ancient Family of Carlisle
Author: Nicholas Carlisle
Publication: London: 1822--some of the pages are photocopied
Call Number: received as 5 microfiche on interlibrary loan
Page: p. 170
Note: Date and place are not given except to say "Ellen Carruthers, da.
of Simon Carruthers, of Mou sewald."
Date: 16 Nov 2001
Repository:

Author: Peter Cox
Publication: sent to me via e-mail attachment
Text: Simplified Possible Line of Descent [this titles the page of
descendancy towards Betty Walke r b. 1919]
Page: p. 9 of 11
Note: Date and place are not given but Adam received a dispensation

Author: Nicholas Carlisle
Publication: London: 1822--some of the pages are photocopied
Call Number: received as 5 microfiche on interlibrary loan
Page: p. 170
Note: Apparently the dispensation from the Pope, allowing Adam and
Ellen to marry (as first cousins ), was not granted until after Adam's
death, which would account for the discrepancy betwee n their marriage
date and Adam's earlier death date (see Source "Road to the
Carlisles").
Date: 16 Nov 2001
CARLILE
2006-01-02 16:43:23 UTC
de Karleolo, Hildred de Karleolo lord of Carlyle
|1015
Carlyle, Odard lord of Carlyle
|1092
de Carliell, Robert Sheriff of Cumberland
|1139
de Carliell, Adam
|1160
de Carliell, Eudo
|1185
de Carliell, William
|1210
de Carliell, William
|1235
de Carliell, William
|1260
de Carlyle, John
|1295
de Carliell, William
|1325
de Carliell, John
|1370
de Carliell, William Lord of Torthorwald
| 1400 |
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------
|1503
Carlyle, Adam
|1525
Carlyle, Edward
|1561
Carlyle, Adam
|1585
Carlyle, Edward
|1637
Carlyle, Adam
|1675
Carlyle, William
|1699
Carlyle, James
|1729
Carlile, William
|1761
Carlile, James Theodore Thader
|1829
Carlile, Samuel L
|1885
Carlile, William j.
|1917
Carlile, John
|1950
Carlile, Mark
1983
Gary Holtzman
2006-01-02 17:06:57 UTC
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------
|1503
How is it that William was succeeded by his younger son?

Don Aitken
2006-01-02 18:03:39 UTC
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------
|1503
How is it that William was succeeded by his younger son?
He wasn't - the peerage was created for John. (who was the eldest
son).
Gary Holtzman
2006-01-02 20:49:57 UTC
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------
|1503
How is it that William was succeeded by his younger son?
He wasn't - the peerage was created for John. (who was the eldest
son).
So are these dates the dates of death or birth?

Did William de Carliell have a peerage title Lord of Torthorwald, or was that perhaps a
feudal barony or lairdship?

Don Aitken
2006-01-02 23:34:13 UTC
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------
|1503
How is it that William was succeeded by his younger son?
He wasn't - the peerage was created for John. (who was the eldest
son).
So are these dates the dates of death or birth?
I think they are supposed to be dates of birth. Of course, a known
date of birth is a rarity in the 15th century, and Stirnet gives none
for most of these people.
Post by Gary Holtzman
Did William de Carliell have a peerage title Lord of Torthorwald, or was that perhaps a
feudal barony or lairdship?
There was certainly a peerage, but I'm not sure whether the title was
Torthorwald or Carlyle of Torthorwald; such things were not always
clearly defined at that date. I will see what CP says about this
family, probably tomorrow.
CARLILE
2006-01-02 23:53:02 UTC
Post by CARLILE
Carlyle, Adam Carlyle, John Lord Carlyle of Torthorwald
| 1435 |1437
it should be sorry
Gary Holtzman
2006-01-03 00:09:54 UTC
Post by Don Aitken
There was certainly a peerage, but I'm not sure whether the title was
Torthorwald or Carlyle of Torthorwald; such things were not always
clearly defined at that date. I will see what CP says about this
family, probably tomorrow.
Thanks. By the way, is CP available on disc?

CARLILE
2006-01-03 00:19:15 UTC
what do you mean by CP
Don Aitken
2006-01-03 18:20:43 UTC
On 03 Jan 2006 00:09:54 GMT, (Gary Holtzman)
Post by Matt Lavengood
Post by Don Aitken
There was certainly a peerage, but I'm not sure whether the title was
Torthorwald or Carlyle of Torthorwald; such things were not always
clearly defined at that date. I will see what CP says about this
family, probably tomorrow.
Thanks.
Here is the story, which quite an interesting one. ("Complete
Peerage", Volume 3, pp. 40-43). The peerage was conferred at some time
between October 1473 and July 1474 on Sir John Carlyle, son and heir
or Sir William Carlyle, who died between 1452 and 1463. The original
title was "Carlyle of Torthorwald", although later peers are
frequently called Lord Torthorwald.

The first Lord died in 1501, having been predeceased in 1477 by his
eldest son (by his second wife, Janet), John, Master of Carlyle. He
was therefore succeeded by his grandson William, 2nd Lord, to whom he
resigned the lands and barony shortly before his death.

The second Lord died in 1524 or 1525 and was succeeded by his eldest
son, James, 3rd Lord, who in turn died without issue in 1525 or 1526
and was succeeded by his brother Michael, 4th Lord.

The death of Michael's eldest son, William, Master of Carlyle, in
1572, opened up a succession dispute between his second son, Michael
Carlyle of Locharthur, and the Master's heir, his daughter Elizabeth.
The 4th Lord clearly favored Michael, to whom he transferred the land
and Barony in 1574. He died the following year.

Elizabeth recovered her position by the cunning move of marrying Sir
James Douglas of Parkhead, illegitimate grandson of James, Earl of
Morton, who had been Regent of Scotland. Even after Morton's
execution, the Douglases were a power in the land, which the Carlyles
were emphatically not, the 4th Lord having blotted his copybook by
taking the losing side (that of Queen Mary) in the civil war of 1568.
Accordingly, Elizabeth and her husband, after "long litigation",
recovered the lands.

The succession dispute was over the lands, not the peerage. It seems
to have been accepted that the latter went to the heir of line, and
the Carlyles of Locharthur never claimed it, even when, four
generations later, the head of this branch obtained formal recognition
as heir male of the 4th Lord.

According to modern doctrine, Elizabeth became Lady Carlyle
immediately on her grandfather's death in 1575. In practice, no more
was heard of the peerage until her husband was recognised as Lord
Carlyle in 1606. He is not said to have sat in Parliament, although
their son, another James Douglas, did so, after his father's
assassination in 1608 but during his mother's lifetime. This James
sold the Torthorwald estate to the 1st Earl of Queenberry in 1622, and
in 1638 the peerage also was resigned to the Earl. It is unclear
whther this was by James (there being no other evidence that he was
alive after 1622) or by his son William, whose date of death is also
unknown. Eliabeth seems to have been still alive at this time.

The Earl of Queensberry is not recorded as using the Carlyle (or
Torthorwald) title, but his grandson, the first Marquess, was created
Viscount of Torthorwald along with the Marquessate; this peerage is
extant as one of the lesser titles of the Duke of Buccleuch.

If the resignation is regarded as invalid, as it certainly would be by
modern rules, the Carlyle peerage could still be revived; the earldoms
of Dundee and Annandale provide precedents. In that case, we need the
heir of line of the marriage of Elizabeth's granddaughter, Martha
Douglas, to Sir James Lockhart of Lee - I think that leads to the
issue of Admiral Sir Thomas Cochrane by his marriage to Matilda
Wishart-Ross in 1812.

CP make no reference to the two Adam Carlyles mentioned in the
postings by "CARLILE", but they would clearly not be in line to the
peerage on any theory, even if the genealogy is correct.
Post by Matt Lavengood
By the way, is CP available on disc?
No, unfortunately
CARLILE
2006-01-03 19:58:56 UTC
hey i think i was wrong i was doing more searching

de Carliell, William Lord of Torthorwald
| 1400 |
Carlyle, Adam Carlyle, John Lord Carlyle of Torthorwald
| 1437 |1435
| Carlyle, Catherine
| | 1456
Carlyle, Adam Carruthers, Ellen
| 1470 | 1475
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------

when searching i found this as well so i think it is this way
they said he married hi first cousin not first cousin 1 time removed

de Carliell, William Lord of Torthorwald
1400 |
Carlyle, John Lord Carlyle of Torthorwald
|1435
Carlyle, Adam | Carlyle, Catherine
| 1448 | 1456
| |
| |
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------
CARLILE
2006-01-03 20:02:08 UTC
it say John CARLYLE Lord Carlyle of Torthorwald was born 1430 instead
of 1435 so it's in between those dates
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2006-01-04 10:34:32 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey i think i was wrong i was doing more searching
de Carliell, William Lord of Torthorwald
| 1400 |
Carlyle, Adam Carlyle, John Lord Carlyle of Torthorwald
| 1437 |1435
| Carlyle, Catherine
| | 1456
Carlyle, Adam Carruthers, Ellen
| 1470 | 1475
-----------Carlyle, Alexander-------
I've just seen this thread, now that the title has changed; I've done
some work on this line, as I descend from the Carlyles of Bridekirk
myself. The Adam who married Ellen Carruthers was illegitimate.
Dispensation to marry Ellen in 1502, but Carruthers genealogies give
her as a daughter of Isabella, daughter of David Scott of Buccleuch,
rather than another Carlyle.
CARLILE
2006-01-04 11:28:43 UTC
Adam received a dispensation from Pope Alexander
VI dated 1 7 Feb 1502 permitting the marriage between Adam and his
first cousin Ellen i think this is proof that she came from another
carlile
not Isabella Scott
m***@btinternet.com
2006-01-04 11:34:54 UTC
Post by CARLILE
Adam received a dispensation from Pope Alexander
VI dated 1 7 Feb 1502 permitting the marriage between Adam and his
first cousin Ellen i think this is proof that she came from another
carlile not Isabella Scott
Newsflash: most people have two parents, and thus their first cousins
can be drawn from two different stocks. Adam's mother could have been
a sister of either Isabella's mother or father, for instance.

Three genealogies down: next...
CARLILE
2006-01-04 12:46:05 UTC
well Isabella Scott started having kids in 1491
Simon CARRUTHERS b: ABT 1491 in Of,Mouswald,Dumfries,Scotland

Ellen was born 1475 married 1502 there is no way thats her parent
Don Aitken
2006-01-04 13:21:21 UTC
Post by m***@btinternet.com
Post by CARLILE
Adam received a dispensation from Pope Alexander
VI dated 1 7 Feb 1502 permitting the marriage between Adam and his
first cousin Ellen i think this is proof that she came from another
carlile not Isabella Scott
Newsflash: most people have two parents, and thus their first cousins
can be drawn from two different stocks. Adam's mother could have been
a sister of either Isabella's mother or father, for instance.
Stirnet gives Isabella Scott, daughter of David Scott of Branxhome and
Buccleuch, m. before 1492 Sir Simon Carruthers of Mousewald. They are
presumably Ellen's parents. Unfortunately, David Scott's wife is
unidentified.
CARLILE
2006-01-04 13:41:53 UTC
i dont no were they got there source but Ellen was born like 16 years
before Isabella Scott had her first kid
CARLILE
2006-01-04 13:49:45 UTC
"Unfortunately, David Scott's wife is
unidentified."

and i know who david's wife was and his parents but im not putting in
my data base because its wrong

Sacha
2005-12-30 10:27:31 UTC
On 30/12/05 3:18 am, in article
***@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "Matt Lavengood"
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Matt Lavengood
Yes, but titles are awarded to respectable people, and usually (though
not always) respectable people have respectable families.
Hmmmm. Like the first Duke of St Albans Mama, you mean? ;-)
--
Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)
Hal S.
2005-12-29 23:49:35 UTC
Post by CARLILE
so what your saying is say a bum could have sex with a princess thats
already married and they have a kid and then she becames a queen the
kid will became a prince or a princess that is a bunch of bull shit
they need to find a way to control stuff like that from happening dna
is the only way.
if you beleive thats how it should be then you are f.u.c.k.i.n Crack
head
--------------------------------------
have fun in my killfile, you puerile idiot.
plonk>
Matt Lavengood
2005-12-28 20:08:06 UTC
Post by CARLILE
how does the titles past down do they just go to the oldest child or
what
Well, the inheritable titles in the peerage are Duke, Marquess, Earl,
Viscount, Baron, and Baronet. Most of these titles are inheritable
through the male line, by agnatic primogeniture, meaning that the
eldest son inherits, and if there are no sons, then the eldest brother,
etc.

So, if you'd want to prove your inheritance to a title, you'd have to
prove that you are the most senior male-line legitimate descendant of a
holder of an inheritable title.
t***@comcast.net
2005-12-28 20:43:33 UTC
Post by CARLILE
how does the titles past down do they just go to the oldest child or
what
It depends on how the original title was remaindered when it was
created.

The Verminator
Gary Holtzman
2005-12-29 01:23:00 UTC
Post by CARLILE
how does the titles past down do they just go to the oldest child or
what
It depends on the title. British titles usually go to the oldest son. Please see the FAQs
for this group:

www.heraldica.org/faqs/atrfaq

www.heraldica.org/faqs/britfaq

t***@comcast.net
2005-12-28 19:55:55 UTC
Post by CARLILE
i know it is Rachel or Susan born 1690/1700 in Huntingtower, Perth,
Scotland
Check the following site:
http://www.genealogics.org/descend.php?personID=I00004138&tree=LEO

It is a 6 generation descendant chart of Lady Stanley- as you can see
there are NO Carlile descendants.

I suggest you forget this line unless you have better documentation.

The Verminator
Don Aitken
2005-12-28 19:41:22 UTC
Post by CARLILE
hey it Susan Murray sorry born 15 Apr 1699
You must be a generation out here. The children of John Murray,
Marquess of Atholl and Lady Amelia Stanley were born between 1660 and
1669. None of them were called either Rachel or Susan. But that is the
least of your problems. The Susan Murray who was born on that date was
a granddaughter via the 1st Duke of Atholl. She married the 2nd Earl
of Aberdeen when she was 17, bore him ten children, and died at 26,
which doesn't leave any possibility of another marriage.

The only other Susan Murray in the family was a
great-great-granddaughter via the Dunmore line, born in 1768. No
member of the family married a Carlile or any obvious variant thereof.

See http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/mm4fz/murray03.htm and
pages linked from there.