Diana's funeral attendees list
Grrarrggh
2004-04-30 03:12:53 UTC
Where can I find a list of everyone invited to Diana's funeral?

Tam
Michael Rhodes
2004-05-12 11:18:28 UTC
Post by Grrarrggh
Where can I find a list of everyone invited to Diana's funeral?
Tam
The following is cobbled together from the Sunday papers after Diana's funeral.
Perhaps somebody can fill in any gaps?

Among the guests at Diana's funeral

ROYAL FAMILY
The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales
Prince William of Wales
Prince Harry of Wales
Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
The Princess Royal
The Duke of York & the Duchess of York
Prince Edward
The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
Viscount and Viscountess Linley
Lady Sarah Chatto and Daniel Chatto
Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy
Sir Angus Ogilvy
Mr and Mrs James Ogilvy
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
The Duke and Duchess of Kent
Earl and Countess of St Andrews
Lord Nicholas Windsor
Lord Downpatrick
Lady Helen Taylor and Timothy Taylor
Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Earl of Ulster
Lady Davina Windsor
Lady Rose Windsor

SPENCER FAMILY
Hon Mrs Frances Shand Kydd
The Earl Spencer
Lady Sarah McCorquodale
Lady Jane Fellowes

FRIENDS
Mr Mohamed Fayed and Mrs Fayed
Lady Annabel Goldsmith
Carolyn Bartholomew
Lord Mischon
Anthony Julius
Jane Procter
Anna Harvey
Hon Mrs Angela Serota
Laura Lonsdale
Anne Beckwith-Smith
Victoria Mendham
Imran and Jemima Khan
Lady Cosima Somerset
Raine, Comtesse de Chabrun
Susie Kassem
Lucia Flecha De Lima
James Gilbey
Vivienne Parry
Hon Caroline Twiston-Davies
Ruth Rudge
Michael Gibbins
Lady Bowker
Earl of Snowdon, GCVO
Capt Mark Phillips
Susan Barrantes
Kate Menzies
Lord Deedes
Peter Westmacott
Dr Hasnat Khan
Dr Magdi Yacoub
Hon Rosa Monckton
Viscountess Campden
Patrick Jephson
Suzie Townsend
Lord Porchester
Sophie Straker
The Countess of Lindsay
Lavinia Baring
Virginia Pitman
Richard Kay

CELEBRITIES
Richard Branson
Elton John
George Michael
Wayne Sleep
Sting
Lord Attenborough
Bruce Oldfield
Karl Lagerfeld
Valentino
Elizabeth Emmanuel
David Emmanuel
Catherine Walker
Clive James
Shirley Bassey
Jasper Conran
Bryan Adams
Chris de Burgh
Sir Cliff Richard
Brian May
Anita Dobson
Luciano Pavarotti
Diana Ross
Ruby Wax
Michael Barrymore
Sir David Frost
Tom Conti
Tom Cruise
Nicole Kidman
Tom Hanks
Steven Spielberg

STATE
Tony and Cherie Blair
John and Pauline Prescott
Robin Cook
Sir Edward Heath, KG
Lord Callaghan, KG and Lady Callaghan
Baroness Thatcher, LG, and Sir Denis Thatcher
John and Norma Major
Betty Boothroyd
Lord Irvine of Lairg
William Hague and Ffion Jenkins
Paddy Ashdown
David Trimble
Alex Salmond
Lord Richard
Viscount Cranborne
Lord Jenkins of Hillhead
Hillary Clinton
Bernadette Chirac
Baroness Jay
Lord Runcie
Martin Bell
Lord Archer of Weston-super-Mare
Winston Churchill
Virginia Bottomley
Lord Steel
Sir Robin Butler

HOUSEHOLD
Colin Tebbitt
Louise Reid-Carr
Paul Burrell

REPRESENTATIVES FROM CHARITIES INCLUDING:

British Red Cross
Anti-personnel Landmines Campaign
Landmine Survivors Network
The English National Ballet
Centrepoint
The National Aids Trust
Leprosy Mission
Great Ormond Street Hospital
The Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Trust
British Lung Foundation
Help the Aged
Aspire (Association for spinal injury research rehabilitation and
reintegration)
Debra (Dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa research association)
British Deaf Association
Parkinson's Disease Society
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
Douglas Bader Foundation
Royal Anthropological Institute
Headway, National Head Injuries Association
Child Accident Prevention Trust
Anglo-European College of Chiropractic
Disability Sport England
Sound Seekers
Refuge
Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
BUPA
Natural History Museum
Relate
American Friends of Covent Garden

-- Michael Rhodes (please delete the x to e-mail me)
Torkel Nybakk Kvaal
2004-05-12 14:45:37 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Post by Grrarrggh
Where can I find a list of everyone invited to Diana's funeral?
Tam
The following is cobbled together from the Sunday papers after Diana's funeral.
Perhaps somebody can fill in any gaps?
Among the guests at Diana's funeral
ROYAL FAMILY
also Lord Frederick Windsor and Lady Gabrielle Windsor
Post by Michael Rhodes
SPENCER FAMILY
Hon Mrs Frances Shand Kydd
The Earl Spencer
Lady Sarah McCorquodale
Lady Jane Fellowes
both husbands and all their children also attended
Post by Michael Rhodes
STATE
Hillary Clinton
representing her husband and the people of the USA
Post by Michael Rhodes
Bernadette Chirac
representing her husband and the people of France

Suzanne Mubarak, representing her husband and the people of Egypt

Queen Anne-Marie of Greece and (I possibly) King Constantine
Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
Infanta Pilar of Spain

Foreign royals were not invited, these were exceptions as friends of the
late Princess.

Regards
Torkel NK
Thomas Rex Campbell
2004-05-13 17:05:13 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Post by Michael Rhodes
Bernadette Chirac
representing her husband and the people of France
Suzanne Mubarak, representing her husband and the people of Egypt
Queen Anne-Marie of Greece and (I possibly) King Constantine
Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
Infanta Pilar of Spain
Foreign royals were not invited, these were exceptions as friends of the
late Princess.
Regards
Torkel NK
HM The Queen of Jordan was there as well. I recall her wearing a
white veil, which was appropriate mourning attire for her as a Muslim
woman.

Regards,
Thomas
Kelly
2004-05-12 19:52:20 UTC
"Michael Rhodes" wrote...
(Grrarrggh) wrote ...
Post by Grrarrggh
Where can I find a list of everyone invited to Diana's funeral?
Tam
The following is cobbled together from the Sunday papers after Diana's funeral.
Perhaps somebody can fill in any gaps?
Among the guests at Diana's funeral
ROYAL FAMILY
The Duke of York & the Duchess of York
Beatrice and Eugenie

And, I read somewhere (but have never looked for photos), Sarah's mum.

Kelly
What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
Michael Rhodes
2004-05-13 02:21:43 UTC
Post by Kelly
"Michael Rhodes" wrote...
(Grrarrggh) wrote ...
Post by Grrarrggh
Where can I find a list of everyone invited to Diana's funeral?
Tam
The following is cobbled together from the Sunday papers after Diana's
funeral.
Perhaps somebody can fill in any gaps?
Among the guests at Diana's funeral
ROYAL FAMILY
The Duke of York & the Duchess of York
Beatrice and Eugenie
And, I read somewhere (but have never looked for photos), Sarah's mum.
Kelly
I thought I recalled seeing Beatrice and Eugenie in the group outside
Buckingham Palace on the funeral morn. Mrs Barrantes is mentioned in
the list.

I also remember seeing Lord and Lady Romsey, and the Halifaxes.

-- Michael.
Kelly
2004-05-13 03:27:28 UTC
"Michael Rhodes" wrote...
"Kelly" wrote ...
Post by Kelly
"Michael Rhodes" wrote...
Post by Michael Rhodes
ROYAL FAMILY
The Duke of York & the Duchess of York
Beatrice and Eugenie
And, I read somewhere (but have never looked for photos), Sarah's mum.
Kelly
I thought I recalled seeing Beatrice and Eugenie in the group outside
Buckingham Palace on the funeral morn. Mrs Barrantes is mentioned in
the list.
Beatrice and Eugenie were in the Abbey as well. http://xrl.us/b2ym I must
have skipped over Susan's name in the list.

Kelly
Gidzmo
2004-05-13 18:40:03 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
I thought I recalled seeing Beatrice and Eugenie in the group outside
Buckingham Palace on the funeral morn.

Noticeably absent from the funeral (and commented on by the media): Sophie, who
was only engaged (or shortly to be engaged) to Prince Edward at the time.

Apparently there was comment that she bore a considerable resemblance to Diana.
Someone (no one's mentioned who) had suggested that Sophie not attend.
Post by Michael Rhodes
Lord and Lady Romsey, and the Halifaxes.
The Romseys, IIRC, are related to the Royal Family through Countess
Mountbatten. Are the Halifaxes also related to the Royals?
Sacha
2004-05-13 21:19:06 UTC
Torkel Nybakk Kvaal
2004-05-13 21:43:47 UTC
Post by Sacha
Gidzmo13/5/04 7:40
Charles Spencer's mistress was there, or so it was reported, I believe.
What was/is her name?
If present she didn't walk with the family.

His wife (ex-wife at the time I believe) and children stayed in South
Africa.
Torkel Nybakk Kvaal
2004-05-13 21:44:48 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Post by Michael Rhodes
I thought I recalled seeing Beatrice and Eugenie in the group outside
Buckingham Palace on the funeral morn.
Noticeably absent from the funeral (and commented on by the media): Sophie, who
was only engaged (or shortly to be engaged) to Prince Edward at the time.
Apparently there was comment that she bore a considerable resemblance to Diana.
Someone (no one's mentioned who) had suggested that Sophie not attend.
This was early September 1997
Edward and Sophie did not get engaged until January 1999 (and married in
June that year).
Michael Rhodes
2004-05-13 23:06:59 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Post by Michael Rhodes
I thought I recalled seeing Beatrice and Eugenie in the group outside
Buckingham Palace on the funeral morn.
Noticeably absent from the funeral (and commented on by the media): Sophie, who
was only engaged (or shortly to be engaged) to Prince Edward at the time.
Diana died in Aug 97 -Edward and Sophie didn't become engaged until
Jan 99.
Post by Michael Rhodes
Lord and Lady Romsey, and the Halifaxes.
The Romseys, IIRC, are related to the Royal Family through Countess
Mountbatten. Are the Halifaxes also related to the Royals?
Teh Earl is a great friend of the Prince of Wales, and husband of
another Camilla Parker Bowles.

-- Michael.

TwoBsBob
2004-05-13 18:15:06 UTC
Why were the "celebrities" invited? I'm sure most of them weren't
personal friends. Who decided on the invitations?
Sacha
2004-05-13 21:17:45 UTC
TwoBsBob13/5/04 7:15
Post by TwoBsBob
Why were the "celebrities" invited? I'm sure most of them weren't
personal friends. Who decided on the invitations?
From what I recall reading at the time, 'they' went through Diana's address
book and Christmas Card list.
--
Sacha