Aspinalll son and stepson conservationists
Shinjinee
2006-02-18 20:42:50 UTC
Today I watched a documentary "Gorilla Gorilla" on Animal Planet about
the efforts of the John Aspinall Foundation to introduce gorillas born
in captivity (or rescued from hunters) back into the wild. Among those
involved are
* Damian Aspinall, John's son by his first wife and former husband of
Louise Sebag-Montefiore IIRC
* Amos Courage, John's stepson (son of his third wife Lady Sarah
Aspinall) who is married to Serena Hanbury of that LG family.

I found some previous posts on the Aspinall/Courage family

1/ Birth of a son 2002 to Amos Courage.
When did Mr and Mrs Courage marry?

From: Michael Rhodes - view profile
Date: Fri, Feb 8 2002 3:32 pm
Email: ***@btinternet.com (Michael Rhodes)

Serena Courage, (nee Hanbury), wife of Amos Edward Sebastian Courage,
[b. 1969], gave birth to a son, Albert Simon Piers, 18 January, 2002.

Amos Courage, (of the *beerage* dynasty, LG), is the younger son of
the late racing driver Piers Raymond Courage [who d. 1970], and Lady
Sarah Aspinall [nee Curzon], daughter of the late 5th Earl Howe.
Serena Courage is a scion of Hanbury LG.

...Michael Rhodes.

[His wife Serena Mary Hanbury (b 1970) is elder daughter and 1st child
of the late Simon Thomas Cecil Hanbury (d 1997) by his wife Carolyn
Sarah Seymour, of the Marquesses of Hertford; they were engaged in
2000, announced 23 June 2000. Both Amos and Serena Courage are landed
gentry, and are both descended from King James VI & I. Serena's
maternal grandmother is a Hambro]

http://www.william1.co.uk/t2.htm

2/ Birth of a 3rd daughter to Damian Aspinall

From: Michael Rhodes - view profile
Date: Tues, Nov 18 2003 9:04 pm
Email: ***@yahoo.co.uk (Michael Rhodes)
Groups: alt.talk.royalty
Not yet rated
Rating:
show options

| Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Damian Aspinall and his partner, Donna Air, produced a daughter,
Freya, in September, 2003, a half-sister for Tansy and Clary (both
daughters of Damian by a previous marriage). Mr Aspinall is the only
son of John Aspinall (b. 11 June, 1926; d. 29 June, 2000), of
Howletts, near Canterbury, Kent, Port Lympne, Lympne, Kent, and
Noordhoek Manor, Cape Town, South Africa, by his first wife Jane
Gordon Hastings, and is a grandson of Colonel Robert Aspinall, by his
wife Mary Grace Horn (later Lady Osborne).

Damian's step-mother is the former Lady Sarah Marguerite Curzon,
daughter of Earl Howe.

[The pregnancy prevented Damian and Donna from travelling to Gabon,
according to the documentary. His two older daughters, then his only
children, were shown crying when the gorillas were sedated and
transported]

On John Aspinall
http://www.totallywild.net/aspinall.php

On Lady Sarah Aspinall, nee Lady Sarah-Marguerite Curzon-Howe (b 1945),
dau of the 5th Earl Howe by his 3rd wife Sybil Boyter Johnston,
half-sister of the 6th Earl and half-aunt of Lady Mary-Gaye Curzon-Howe
(b 1947)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2003/12/11/ftasp11.xml

A book on her first husband Piers Courage (d 1970) has come out.

She md 1stly 1966 Piers Raymond Courage (27 May 1942 - d 1970 in a
crash) eldest son of Richard Hubert Courage by his wife Joan Elizabeth
Agnes Watson, dau of Sir Charles Cunningham Watson, sometime secretary
to a Viceroy of India, by whom 2 sons Jason Piers Courage (b 1967) and
Amos Edward Sebastian Courage (b 1969) [happy father above]. Her father
in law Richard Courage (b 1915) was the younger son and fifth child (of
six children) of Raymond Courage [chairman of Courage Brewery 1904] of
Shenfield Place, Essex, and Edgcot, Northamptonshire

She then married 2ndly 1972 (as his 3rd wife) John Victor Aspinall
(1926-2000) [son of Col (or Dr) Dr. Robert Stavali Aspinall, but
fathered by another man per his obit] by whom she had issue Bassa
Wulfhere Aspinall (b 1972)

"Jason, now 36, works in property, dabbles on the fringes of Formula
One and is "fascinated with cars and racing''; Amos, 34, works with
wildlife and "is most like Piers in his mannerisms - although he never
knew his father. He is his own man, especially in his love and
understanding of the environment and wildlife. Like his father, he is a
great reader and devoted to music." Bassa lives in South Africa.

Her first husband went to Eton circa 1955 with Prince Michael of Kent,
Jonathan Aitken and a Whitbread (rival brewing dynasty). His father
was then still i

Lady Sarah has "eight grandchildren and step-grandchildren, "with one
more on the way''.". Damian Aspinall is father of at least three
daughters (possibly his partner is expecting a fourth child or is it
Serena Courage?). Amos and Serena have at least one son. Four
grandchildren still unaccounted for.

On the project
<http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20001212/SRSLAUGHTER03/11212010/-1/SRSLAUGHTERhttp://www.berggorilla.org/english/gjournal/texte/22courage.html>

Other aristocrats involved actively in conservation include Iain
Douglas-Hamilton, his wife and his two daughters Saba and Dudu. And of
course, the late baron Hugo van Lawick (first husband of Jane
Goodall)...

I am not counting those knighted for their work on conservation such as
Sir David Attenborough.

Shinjinee
m***@yahoo.co.uk
2006-02-18 21:11:07 UTC
Post by Shinjinee
[...]
I should be able to tell you more as Serena is my cousin (we share a
grandmother); unfortunately all my records of such things (and their
wedding invitation- but I can tell you they were married in Italy) are
2000 miles away! I do have a note that as well as Albert they have a
daughter Sylvie; but no full name or date I'm afraid.
-Matthew