English/British Heirs by Absolute Primogeniture
2019-01-28 19:37:25 UTC
When the Succession to the Crown Act was enacted,
much fuss was made about how the British throne might have
descended had it applied to descendants from Queen Victoria.

Much as I prefer the principle of absolute primogeniture for any
newly created title I regard it as more important that rules for
a title never change once established if the new rule having applied
since creation of the title would have resulted in any person who
historically succeeded not doing so.

Obviously if a princess ranked ahead of her younger brother in
succession her being sent off to a foreign court or betrothed to
a wealthy subject in marriage would have been entirely different
considerations and historical descendants of such princesses might
well never have been born.

Regardless...even leaving out Scotland (though James I of England
was absolute primogeniture heir of James II of Scotland,the
succession from James I of Scotland or earlier monarchs would
have diverged) there are numerous previous points of divergence
had the system of "Heirs Numenorean" (Tolkien posited this law
of succession for the throne of Numenor before any earthly kings
adopted it) applied at that point.

Certain successions may be held to have established particular
principles as applying at the time (Alfred the Great in place
of his elder brother's young sons as requiring an adult,or
Henry I's descendants in place of his elder sister's as requiring
preference for male lines,or George I's as requiring Protestantism)
but if we are to retrospectively apply indifference to those matters:

Descendants of Alfred the Great's elder brother probably exist
but the lines are fuzzy from the early generations on.

Edmund the Elder was the son of Edward the Elder's third marriage,
and among the children of his second marriage Ethelwerd/Aelfweard
is said by Patrick Montague-Smith to have left descendants;
in any case his sisters who married Charles the Simple
and Otto the Great left descendants.

As for the post-Conquest:

DIVERGING PRINCESS:St. Adela of Normandy,Countess of Blois
ELDER SISTER OF:Henry I
HEIR TRACES THROUGH:Elder brothers of King Stephen,such as
William Count of Sully or Theobald of Blois
(Queen Elizabeth is a descendant,though not the absolute
primogeniture heir)

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Matilda,Duchess of Saxony
ELDER SISTER OF:Richard Coeur de Lion (and John)
HEIR TRACES THROUGH:Herman VI of Baden unless his sisters were older

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Eleanor,Countess of Bar
ELDER SISTER OF:Edward II (and three other sisters older than
Edward who also left descendants)
HEIR TRACES THROUGH:Jeanne of Bar

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Isabella Countess of Bedford
ELDER SISTER OF:all children of Edward III other than the Prince
of Wales,pre-empting Clarence,Lancaster,or York claims
HEIR TRACES THROUGH:Jeanne of Bar (intermarriage with line
immediately above...I believe after 1799 (death of
Elector of Bavaria) this line reverts to Dukes of Arenberg
unless I've missed some elder sisters en route)

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Anne of York,Duchess of Exeter
ELDER SISTER OF:Edward IV (and Richard III)
HEIR TRACES THROUGH:Anne St. Leger,Baroness de Ros
(Viscount De L'Isle is the accepted heir general
but not all instances of a sister being older than
a brother are clear)

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Elizabeth of York
ELDER SISTER OF:Edward V
HEIR TRACES THROUGH:Margaret Tudor (below)

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Margaret Tudor,Queen of Scotland
ELDER SISTER OF:Henry VIII
HEIR TRACES THROUGH:Elizabeth Stuart (below)

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Elizabeth Stuart,Queen of Bohemia
ELDER SISTER OF:Charles I
HEIRESS:Margherita Archduchess of Austria-Este

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Augusta of Hanover,Duchess of Brunswick-Wolffenbuttel
ELDER SISTER OF:George III
HEIR TRACES THROUGH:House of Wurttemberg...Prince Alexander of Wied?

DIVERGING PRINCESS:Victoria,Princess Royal,Empress Frederick
ELDER SISTER OF:Edward VII
HEIRESS:Friederike Von der Osten.

Does anyone have any improvements upon the above?

2019-02-13 20:51:07 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
[...]
This line appears to lead to an uncle and now a first cousin of
(believe it or not) Princess Michael of Kent.Her mother was the
younger sister of Laszlo Szapary.

King Edward I died 1307.
His daughter Eleanor (1269-1298) was older than Edward II (1284-1327).
Her son Edward Count of Bar was a minor when he succeeded to Bar in 1302
and died in 1336.
Eleanor's daughter Joan died in 1361 and if she was older was the
heir in preference to Edward and his children but appears to have
had no children of her own.
Edward's three children were Henry IV of Bar(1315?-1344),Eleanor,and
Beatrice;
I'd welcome information on their birth order.Eleanor died in 1332
after a brief childless marriage,if Beatrice was older than Henry
AND her husband Guido Gonzaga's descendants were by her,
the people listed below are not absolute-primogeniture heirs of
Edward I but only of Edward III after the de Coucy marriage.
Edward II of Bar was born 1339,and (unless Joan was older than Edward)
presumed heir 1344-1352...this is the format I use below,
with each person listed the child of
the one above unless another relationship is specified:
(birth year,heirship start year-death year)...persons who were
in the line of descent to heirs but were never heir themselves are
in square brackets:[name birth year-death year]
Robert I of Bar(1344,1352-1411)
[Henry of Bar(1362?-1397) married Marie de Coucy(1366-1404/5),elder
daughter of Isabella Countess of Bedford]
Robert of Bar(1390,1411-1415)
Jeanne of Bar(1415,1415-1462)
John of Luxemburg(?,1462-1476)
Jacqueline of Luxemburg(?,1476-1511)[SISTER...presuming she was older than
her other brothers and her sister Helene]
Henry de Croy(?,1511-1514)
Philip II de Croy(1496,1514-1549)
Charles II de Croy(1522,1549-1551)
Louise de Croy(1524,1551-1585)[SISTER]
Philip III de Croy(1526,1585-1595)[BROTHER]
Charles III de Croy(1560,1595-1612)
Anne de Croy(1563,1612-1635)[SISTER]
Philippe Charles of Arenberg(1587,1635-1640)
Philippe Francois 1st Duke of Arenberg(1625,1640-1674)
Charles Eugene,2nd Duke of Arenberg(1633,1674-1681)[BROTHER]
Philippe Charles,3rd Duke of Arenberg(1663,1681-1691)
Marie Anne d'Arenberg (1689,1691-1736)
[Anne Henriette de la Tour d'Auvergne 1708-1728]
Karl Theodor,Elector Palatine (1724,1736-1799)
The Elector left no legitimate issue in 1799,
so we revert to the line of
Marie Anne's younger brother,
[Leopold Philippe 4th Duke of Arenberg 1690-1754]
[Charles 5th Duke of Arenberg 1721-1778][older sisters Marie Victoire
1714-93 and Marie Adelaide 1719-1792 were childless]
and resume succession with
Louis 6th Duke of Arenberg(1750,1799-1820)
[Pauline d' Arenberg 1774-1810]
Marie Eleonore of Schwarzenberg (1796,1820-1848)
Alfred II of Windisch-Graetz(1819,1848-1876) [older sister Aglae 1818-43
childless??]
Alfred III of Windisch-Graetz (1851,1876-1927)
[Hedwig of Windisch-Graetz 1878-1918]
Laszlo Graf Szapary de Muraszombath(1910,1927-1998)
Christina,Nikolaus,or Peter?(not known to me,1998- )