Doyle's Princess Mdivani
Gary Holtzman
2004-10-31 23:58:52 UTC
I read on another group that Denis Doyle, son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his second
wife, married a "Princess Mdivani." Could this be a relative of the "Marrying Mdivanis"?
The only sister, I believe, was Roussi Sert. If not, who in the world could she be?
Thanks.
--
Gary Holtzman

Henry Soszynski
2004-11-01 09:16:16 UTC
On 31 Oct 2004 23:58:52 GMT, (Gary Holtzman)
Post by Gary Holtzman
I read on another group that Denis Doyle, son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his second
wife, married a "Princess Mdivani." Could this be a relative of the "Marrying Mdivanis"?
The only sister, I believe, was Roussi Sert. If not, who in the world could she be?
Thanks.
Nina Mdivani, who I have as a sister of Rusudana Mdivani-Sert
1906-1938, Alexis Mdvivani 1905-1938, David Mdivani ?-? and Serge
Mdivani 1903-1936, all children of Zakhari Mdivani.
Caveat emptor
Cheers,
Henry

Rick Hutto
2004-11-01 16:41:22 UTC
Post by Gary Holtzman
I read on another group that Denis Doyle, son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his second
wife, married a "Princess Mdivani." Could this be a relative of the "Marrying Mdivanis"?
The only sister, I believe, was Roussi Sert. If not, who in the world could she be?
Thanks.
There were two sisters of the Marrying Mdivani brothers. Roussie
married the Spanish painter, Jose' Maria Sert, who was famous for his
Waldorf Astoria murals, and she was the mastermind behind her
brothers' marriages (although she died a drug addict). Nina married
Denis Conan Doyle, son of Sir Arthur who created Sherlock Holmes. At
one time Nina controlled the entire Conan Doyle estate. She later
married Anthony Harwood.
Gary Holtzman
2004-11-02 00:44:56 UTC
Post by Rick Hutto
Post by Gary Holtzman
I read on another group that Denis Doyle, son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
and his second wife, married a "Princess Mdivani." Could this be a
relative of the "Marrying Mdivanis"? The only sister, I believe, was
Roussi Sert. If not, who in the world could she be? Thanks.
There were two sisters of the Marrying Mdivani brothers. Roussie
married the Spanish painter, Jose' Maria Sert, who was famous for his
Waldorf Astoria murals, and she was the mastermind behind her
brothers' marriages (although she died a drug addict). Nina married
Denis Conan Doyle, son of Sir Arthur who created Sherlock Holmes. At
one time Nina controlled the entire Conan Doyle estate. She later
married Anthony Harwood.
Thanks Rick and Henry. I didn't realize there was a second sister.
--
Gary Holtzman

Phaedra V. A. Nunn-Smith
2004-11-04 15:28:24 UTC
Post by Gary Holtzman
Post by Rick Hutto
Post by Gary Holtzman
I read on another group that Denis Doyle, son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
and his second wife, married a "Princess Mdivani." Could this be a
relative of the "Marrying Mdivanis"? The only sister, I believe, was
Roussi Sert. If not, who in the world could she be? Thanks.
There were two sisters of the Marrying Mdivani brothers. Roussie
married the Spanish painter, Jose' Maria Sert, who was famous for his
Waldorf Astoria murals, and she was the mastermind behind her
brothers' marriages (although she died a drug addict). Nina married
Denis Conan Doyle, son of Sir Arthur who created Sherlock Holmes. At
one time Nina controlled the entire Conan Doyle estate. She later
married Anthony Harwood.
Thanks Rick and Henry. I didn't realize there was a second sister.
--
Gary Holtzman
I believe the Father of the marrying Mdivanis said " I am the first man to
inherit a title from my sons" . I think they were noble tho'
Phaedra
CGdeVasconcellos
2004-11-01 04:18:46 UTC
Date: 10/31/2004 3:58 PM Pacific Standard Time
I read on another group that Denis Doyle, son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his second
wife, married a "Princess Mdivani." Could this be a relative of the "Marrying Mdivanis"?
The only sister, I believe, was Roussi Sert. If not, who in the world could she be?
Thanks.
--
Gary Holtzman
Gary: In Georgia, I have been told, anyone who owns a sheep is a "prince."
Rather than princes, the Mdivanis could be better described is locusts. Their
greatest talent was to smell money.
Alexis (married Louise Astor Van Alen and Barbara Woolworth Hutton),
Serge (married Louise Astor Van Alen [yes] and Barbara Apollonia Chalupec much
better known as "Pola Negri"),
Roussie ( married J. M. Sert) ,
Nina married Dennis Doyle. She was in "fashion" and last time I heard of her,
when I was a teenager, she had embarked on a mission to wrest control of the
Baskerville Trust from her second husband's relatives.
They were children of Zakhari Mdivani ( the M is not pronounced) and spent
their collective lives extracting money from those they could ensnare in their
traps.
www.Maltagenealogy.com
2004-11-03 05:23:18 UTC
Post by CGdeVasconcellos
Gary: In Georgia, I have been told, anyone who owns a sheep is a "prince."
Rather than princes, the Mdivanis could be better described is locusts. Their
greatest talent was to smell money.
Alexis (married Louise Astor Van Alen and Barbara Woolworth Hutton),
Serge (married Louise Astor Van Alen [yes] and Barbara Apollonia Chalupec much
better known as "Pola Negri"),
Roussie ( married J. M. Sert) ,
Nina married Dennis Doyle. She was in "fashion" and last time I heard of her,
when I was a teenager, she had embarked on a mission to wrest control of the
Baskerville Trust from her second husband's relatives.
They were children of Zakhari Mdivani ( the M is not pronounced) and spent
their collective lives extracting money from those they could ensnare in their
traps.
Any descendants??
Lastly, who exactly did they state they were ennobled by and any ancestors found??

Regards

C.Said-Vassallo
www.maltagenealogy.com
CGdeVasconcellos
2004-11-03 14:01:11 UTC
Date: 11/2/2004 9:23 PM Pacific Standard Time
Post by CGdeVasconcellos
traps.
Any descendants??
Lastly, who exactly did they state they were ennobled by and any ancestors found??
Regards
C.Said-Vassallo
www.maltagenealogy.com
Don't know if any descendants.
As for the ennobling authority, perhaps the same one that enobled "Prince"
Archyll Gourielli the husband of the "Empress of Beauty" Helena Rubinstein.
When Madame Rubinstein demanded that Gourielli prove he was a prince, he went
to a print shop on 42nd st in New York armed with his copy of a real Gotha and
the printers inserted a Gourielli page.
She married him and demanded to be known "Princess Gourielli."
Maybe the Mdivanis and Gouriellis are even related.
Rick Hutto
2004-11-04 00:05:58 UTC
Date: 11/2/2004 9:23 PM Pacific Standard Time
Post by CGdeVasconcellos
traps.
Any descendants??
Lastly, who exactly did they state they were ennobled by and any ancestors found??
Regards
C.Said-Vassallo
www.maltagenealogy.com
Don't know if any descendants.
As for the ennobling authority, perhaps the same one that enobled "Prince"
Archyll Gourielli the husband of the "Empress of Beauty" Helena Rubinstein.
When Madame Rubinstein demanded that Gourielli prove he was a prince, he went
to a print shop on 42nd st in New York armed with his copy of a real Gotha and
the printers inserted a Gourielli page.
She married him and demanded to be known "Princess Gourielli."
Maybe the Mdivanis and Gouriellis are even related.
Yes, two of the brothers each had a son - one of whom changed his last
name in childhood and lives in upstate New York.
Igor Sklar
2004-11-04 15:30:18 UTC
Post by CGdeVasconcellos
Don't know if any descendants.
As for the ennobling authority, perhaps the same one that enobled "Prince"
Archyll Gourielli the husband of the "Empress of Beauty" Helena Rubinstein.
When Madame Rubinstein demanded that Gourielli prove he was a prince, he went
to a print shop on 42nd st in New York armed with his copy of a real Gotha and
the printers inserted a Gourielli page.
She married him and demanded to be known "Princess Gourielli."
Maybe the Mdivanis and Gouriellis are even related.
May be. The Mdivanis were noble but not princely. Gurieli, on the
other hand, is one of the greatest princely houses of Transcaucasia,
nearly extinct now. They were sovereign rulers of Guria and Mingrelia
prior to the Dadianis. Present members of the family are thought to
descend from the marriage of duke Mamia of Guria with the daugher of
David, the last of Megaloi Komnenoi, whose ancestors included more
than a dozen of Byzantine and Trapezunt emperors. This issue was
discussed at soc.genealogy.medieval last year.

regards

Bryan
2004-11-04 01:53:10 UTC
One of the (Prince) Mdivani's death records in California says that their
mother's maiden name was Sabalewska. Is that a noble name in Georgia? I
didn't find anything in a quick Google search.