+ Carl, Prince Bernadotte (1911-2003)
Dag T. Hoelseth
2003-06-27 16:20:20 UTC
A small correction to my previous message: The flag-flying on half
staff was today and on the funeral day, not every day until the
funeral has taken place. I read the royal court's press statement in a
hurry, obviously.

Dag T. Hoelseth

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Frank H. Johansen
2003-06-27 16:59:57 UTC
Carl, Prince Bernadotte, uncle of King Harald of Norway, King Albert
II of the Belgians and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of
Luxembourg, has died, 92 years old.
Although he has been very frail for some tome, that is very sad news. He
was a very popular old gentleman, a good friend and uncle of the
Norwegian Royals. He will be missed both by his family and the public, I
suppose. Any news from the Swedish and Belgian courts yet?
--
Vennlig hilsen
Frank H. Johansen
***@chello.no
Frank H. Johansen
2003-06-27 17:02:48 UTC
I spotted the first error in the article in Nettavisen:
http://www.nettavisen.no/servlets/page?section=3&item=274448

"When Prince Carl married in 1937, he lost his Swedish title, but was
made Prince of Belgium by his brother-in-law, Leopold III."

I guess the excuse that we are not used to any other kind of Princes
that Royal ones in Norway.
--
Vennlig hilsen
Frank H. Johansen
***@chello.no
Frank H. Johansen
2003-06-27 21:14:52 UTC
on 06/27/2003
"When Prince Carl married in 1937, he lost his Swedish title, but was made
Prince of Belgium by his brother-in-law, Leopold III."
Was the late Prince's marriage to a commoner, or had he married without the
appropriate permission?
He married a commoner (Countess Elsa von Rosen), but renounced his
titles before the wedding, and thus didn't need and official permission.
But the King apporved of the marriage on a personal level.
--
Vennlig hilsen
Frank H. Johansen
***@chello.no
Charles Stewart
2003-06-27 23:32:07 UTC
Post by Frank H. Johansen
http://www.nettavisen.no/servlets/page?section=3&item=274448
"When Prince Carl married in 1937, he lost his Swedish title, but was
made Prince of Belgium by his brother-in-law, Leopold III."
I guess the excuse that we are not used to any other kind of Princes
that Royal ones in Norway.
Maybe not in Norway, but what about Sweden?

Although the precedent wasn't applied for Carl in 1937, there was
certainly a famous historical antecedent, and he, too, was of the
Swedish blood royal: General Fredrik Vilhelm von Hessenstein
(1735-1808), an illegitimate son of King Fredrik of Sweden (1676-1751)
by Countess Hedvig Taube (1714-1744), was made a prince (furste) in
the Swedish nobility in 1785 and granted the style of Serene Highness
in 1799.

Charles Stewart
Frank H. Johansen
2003-06-28 09:51:10 UTC
Post by Charles Stewart
Maybe not in Norway, but what about Sweden?
Nah...
Post by Charles Stewart
Although the precedent wasn't applied for Carl in 1937, there was
certainly a famous historical antecedent, and he, too, was of the
Swedish blood royal: General Fredrik Vilhelm von Hessenstein
(1735-1808), an illegitimate son of King Fredrik of Sweden (1676-1751)
by Countess Hedvig Taube (1714-1744), was made a prince (furste) in
the Swedish nobility in 1785 and granted the style of Serene Highness
in 1799.
Nobody in the Swedish media of the day knows who he was. And the title
"Prins Carl Bernadotte" was used for the late Prince, while Hessenstein
probably would be called "Fursten af Hessenstein".
--
Vennlig hilsen
Frank H. Johansen
***@chello.no
Dag T. Hoelseth
2003-06-27 22:46:56 UTC
Carl, Prince Bernadotte, uncle of King Harald of Norway, King Albert
II of the Belgians and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of
Luxembourg, has died, 92 years old. The news reports say he died "i
natt" (i.e. during the night to 27 June 2003) in his home in Spain
("Villa Capricorno" (*), Costa del Sol).
Prince Carl was the only son of Prince Carl of Sweden and Princess
Ingeborg of Denmark. He lost his succession rights and titles upon his
first marriage in 1937, but was given the title "Prince Bernadotte" by
his brother-in-law, King Leopold III.
The flag will be flying on half staff at the Norwegian royal family's
private properties until the funeral has taken place (date not
published yet). The death will not effect the program of the royal
family. On 2 July 2003 the royal family will mark the 100th
anniversary of King Olav's birth, and Princess Märtha Louise' daughter
Maud Angelica Behn will be christened in the Palace Chapel.
Dag T. Hoelseth
(*) Villa Capricorno sounds very Italian to me, but it is the name
referred to in an interview in Aftonbladet 27 April 2000,
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/0004/27/slakting.html . Costa del
Sol is not a very exact reference, but I think he lived near Malaga.
Dagens Nyheter confirms the place of death to be Benalmadena:

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=155667&previousRenderType=8

(See my previous message(s) in this thread.)

Dag T. Hoelseth

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Dag T. Hoelseth
2003-06-28 12:13:54 UTC
[...]
Post by Dag T. Hoelseth
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=155667&previousRenderType=8
(See my previous message(s) in this thread.)
Dag T. Hoelseth
However, Verdens Gang today (28 June 2003) writes that Carl, Prince
Bernadotte died at a hospital in Málaga around 05:30 Friday 27 June
2003. This obviously contradicts the information in the NTB article
(as well as in DN) that he died in his home in Benalmadena. Verdens
Gang (VG) seems to have got its information from the Palace' deputy
head of information, Sven Gj. Gjeruldsen. I will try to get the
information confirmed on Monday.

No information about the funeral arrangements yet, but Prince
Bernadotte's brother-in-law, Jan E. Rivelsrud, expects that it will
take place in Sweden, cf. VG. I would then assume that he will be
buried at Haga where his parents, Prince Carl and Princess Ingeborg,
are buried.

Dag T. Hoelseth

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Dag T. Hoelseth
2003-06-30 11:03:30 UTC
Post by Dag T. Hoelseth
[...]
Post by Dag T. Hoelseth
[...]
The widow, Kristine, Princess Bernadotte, has in an interview with the
Swedish Aftonbladet today 30 June 2003 confirmed that Prince
Bernadotte died in a hospital in Málaga, Spain (Friday 27 June 2003).

Dag T. Hoelseth

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Graham
2003-06-27 22:48:20 UTC
Carl, Prince Bernadotte, uncle of King Harald of Norway, King Albert
II of the Belgians and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of
Luxembourg, has died, 92 years old. The news reports say he died "i
natt" (i.e. during the night to 27 June 2003) in his home in Spain
("Villa Capricorno" (*), Costa del Sol).
Prince Carl was the only son of Prince Carl of Sweden and Princess
Ingeborg of Denmark. He lost his succession rights and titles upon his
first marriage in 1937, but was given the title "Prince Bernadotte" by
his brother-in-law, King Leopold III.
As far as I can see from
http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/sweden.html
he was a first cousin of King Gustaf VI Adolf of
Sweden (though almost thirty years younger - the
King was born when his father was 24, the Prince when
*his* father was almost 50) and in fact younger than
three of GVIA's children. He was not a descendant of
QV, although his cousin GVIA married that Queen's
grand-daughter and great-grand-daughter. His mother was
a daughter of Frederik VIII of Denmark, and thus a grand-
daughter of Christian IX (the other person from whom most
of the current European Royals, or the Protestant ones at
least, seem to be descended) and a niece of Queen Alexandra,
Empress Marie Feodorovna etc. He was thus a second cousin
of Alexei and OTMA, and may well have met them prior to the
Revolution. He was also a second cousin of George VI.
Michael Rhodes
2003-06-28 00:31:19 UTC
Post by Dag T. Hoelseth
A small correction to my previous message: The flag-flying on half
staff was today and on the funeral day, not every day until the
funeral has taken place. I read the royal court's press statement in a
hurry, obviously.
Dag T. Hoelseth
From the Times, 21 July, 1937:-

SWEDISH PRINCE'S BELGIAN TITLE

From our Brussels Correpsondent
The title of Prince conferred by King Leopold III on his
brother-in-law, the Duke of Ostergotland, who renounced his Royal rank
and that title when he married Countess Elsa von Rosen on July 6, is
for life, and the Letters Patent provide that the issue of the
marriage are to be Counts and Countesses Bernadotte.

As the Prince's uncle is already Prince Bernadotte, the former Duke
and his bride are, in virtue of this grant, which was made with the
consent of the King of Sweden, Prince and Princess Charles Bernadotte.

There are several precedents for the grant of a title by a foreign
sovereign to one who was not his subject. When Prince Charles
Bernadotte's uncle, Oscar Duke of Gotland, renounced his Royal rank
and his dukedom in 1888, he was created Prince Bernadotte by his
father, King Oscar II, and in 1892 received the title Count of Wisborg
from the Grand Duke of Luxembourg. That ruler's brother, Prince
Nicholas of Nassau, obtained the title of Countess of Merenberg for
his morganatic wife from the Prince of Waldeck in 1868, adn in 1889
the Emperor of Austria conferred the title of Count of Hartenau on
Prince Alexander of Battenberg, who had abdicated the crown of
Bulgaria in 1886.

Michael Rhodes
Dag T. Hoelseth
2003-06-28 12:16:42 UTC
Another follow-up. I have learnt from Trond Norén Isaksen at SRMB that
Prince Bernadotte's Villa Capricorno (named after the astrological
sign in which he was born) was in Benalmadena at the Costa de Malaga
(the literature I have at home only says "near Malaga"). The small
town "sits on a hill at the foot of the Mijas mountain range in the
Malaga province", cf. http://www.nrcsa.com/nh_df/7634/7634index.html .
The press reports says that Prince Bernadotte died "i natt" or "natt
til fredag", and the most likely interpretation would be that he died
on 27 June 2003 (if it was on Thursday the reports would usually have
said "i går kveld" or similar).
Carl, Prince Bernadotte (former Prince of Sweden, Duke of
Östergötland), b. Stockholm, Sweden 11 January 1911, d. Benalmadena,
Spain 27 June 2003.
As I commented under the subject title "+ Carl, Prince Bernadotte
(1911-2003) - corr.", Prince Bernadotte's birthdate was of course
January 10th. It was just a typo, as I remember the day well - I was
outside Grand Hotel in Oslo when the guests arrived for his 90th
birthday celebrations in 2001.

Dag T. Hoelseth

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Lars.Andersson
Dag T. Hoelseth
2003-06-30 11:06:50 UTC
Post by Lars.Andersson
Is there no page online with all the swedish prince/princesses etc with bios
and images ?
Not a complete page as far as I know. However, Prince Bernadotte has
not been a member of the Swedish royal house since 1937 (he became a
prince of the Belgian nobility instead), I do not think he would
naturally belong to such a page (unless one would like to list all
royals born as Prince or Princess of Sweden).

Dag T. Hoelseth

--

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/sweden.html
http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Torkel Nybakk Kvaal
2003-07-17 17:41:07 UTC
The Daily Telegraph obit. of Carl Bernadotte:-
Prince Carl Bernadotte
(Filed: 17/07/2003)
The accompanying picture is not the late Prince Carl Bernadotte. I believe
it might be his late nephew Count Flemming of Rosenborg (former Prince of
Denmark).