Henri Count of Paris 1933-2019
2019-01-21 16:08:25 UTC
The son of the Henri Count of Paris who was born in 1908 and died
in 1999 has in turn died,his son Jean Duke of Vendome now succeeds
as head of the Orleanist branch of the Bourbon branch of the Capetian
dynasty.

No word on what title he will use primarily (were he to become King
of France he would be Jean IV)...the now-deceased one (Henri VII)
used Count of Paris as his father had but others have been Duke of
Guise or Duke of Orleans,and the lately deceased Henri also used
Duke of France.

The rival Legitimist claimants mainly use Duke of Anjou.

Windemere
2019-01-23 21:00:01 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
The son of the Henri Count of Paris who was born in 1908 and died
in 1999 has in turn died,his son Jean Duke of Vendome now succeeds
as head of the Orleanist branch of the Bourbon branch of the Capetian
dynasty.
No word on what title he will use primarily (were he to become King
of France he would be Jean IV)...the now-deceased one (Henri VII)
used Count of Paris as his father had but others have been Duke of
Guise or Duke of Orleans,and the lately deceased Henri also used
Duke of France.
The rival Legitimist claimants mainly use Duke of Anjou.
I think that 'Count of Paris' was the original title that Hugh Capet (founder of the Capetian Dynasty) used. The Dukes of Orleans (originated 1661) were a cadet branch of the House of Bourbon, which was in turn a cadet branch of the Capetian Dynasty. The Dukes of Guise were also a sometime Capetian cadet branch but I think that they descended through a female line. into the House of Lorraine, which held the title for quite awhile, until it later returned to the Capetian line. As far as I know the 'Duke of France' title is a modern innovation.

I'm not sure, but I think that there's presently an Orleanist 'Duke of Anjou', as well as the Legitimist (Borbon) one.
Windemere
2019-01-25 22:03:03 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
The son of the Henri Count of Paris who was born in 1908 and died
in 1999 has in turn died,his son Jean Duke of Vendome now succeeds
as head of the Orleanist branch of the Bourbon branch of the Capetian
dynasty.
No word on what title he will use primarily (were he to become King
of France he would be Jean IV)...the now-deceased one (Henri VII)
used Count of Paris as his father had but others have been Duke of
Guise or Duke of Orleans,and the lately deceased Henri also used
Duke of France.
The rival Legitimist claimants mainly use Duke of Anjou.
I think that 'Count of Paris' was the original title that Hugh Capet (founder of the Capetian Dynasty) used. The Dukes of Orleans (originated 1661) were a cadet branch of the House of Bourbon, which was in turn a cadet branch of the Capetian Dynasty. The Dukes of Guise were also a sometime Capetian cadet branch but I think that they descended through a female line. into the House of Lorraine, which held the title for quite awhile, until it later returned to the Capetian line. As far as I know the 'Duke of France' title is a modern innovation of an ancient title based upon 'dux franciae'.
I'm not sure, but I think that there's presently an Orleanist 'Duke of Anjou', as well as the Legitimist (Borbon) one.
Windemere
2019-01-25 22:04:39 UTC
Post by Louis Epstein
The son of the Henri Count of Paris who was born in 1908 and died
in 1999 has in turn died,his son Jean Duke of Vendome now succeeds
as head of the Orleanist branch of the Bourbon branch of the Capetian
dynasty.
No word on what title he will use primarily (were he to become King
of France he would be Jean IV)...the now-deceased one (Henri VII)
used Count of Paris as his father had but others have been Duke of
Guise or Duke of Orleans,and the lately deceased Henri also used
Duke of France.
The rival Legitimist claimants mainly use Duke of Anjou.
I think that 'Count of Paris' was the original title that Hugh Capet (founder of the Capetian Dynasty) used. The Dukes of Orleans (originated 1661) were a cadet branch of the House of Bourbon, which was in turn a cadet branch of the Capetian Dynasty. The Dukes of Guise were also a sometime Capetian cadet branch but I think that they descended through a female line. into the House of Lorraine, which held the title for quite awhile, until it later returned to the Capetian line. As far as I know the 'Duke of France' title is a modern innovation of the ancient 'dux franciae' title.
I'm not sure, but I think that there's presently an Orleanist 'Duke of Anjou', as well as the Legitimist (Borbon) one.