Luxembourg: Princess Sibilla gives birth to a boy (Prince Jean)
Dag T. Hoelseth
2004-07-14 09:01:10 UTC
Luxemburger Wort writes today, 14 July 2004, that Princess Sibilla,
wife of Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg, youngest son of the former
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, yesterday 13 July 2004 at 2 p.m. gave
birth to a son at the Maternité Grande-Duchesse Charlotte (weight 3380
g, height 51 cm). The little prince of Nassau has been named Jean
André Guillaume Marie Gabriel Marc D'Aviano.

http://web.saint-paul.lu/ContentManagement/site/lw_index.html?detail=1&id=4066864&return=headlines

(Not sure how long this link will last.)

Prince Jean is the princely couple's fourth child. Their eldest son
Prince Paul-Louis of Nassau was born in 1998 while the twins Prince
Léopold and Princess Charlotte were born in 2000.

Dag T. Hoelseth
http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Gidzmo
2004-07-14 22:53:56 UTC
Prss Sibilla, wife of Pr Guillaume of Luxembourg, youngest son of the former
GD Jean of Luxembourg, yesterday 13 July 2004 at 2 p.m. gave birth to a son at
the Maternité Grande-Duchesse Charlotte (weight 3380 g, height 51 cm). The
little prince of Nassau has been named Jean André Guillaume Marie Gabriel Marc
D'Aviano

How will the newborn be known within the family? And what is the current line
of succession in Luxembourg?
(I'd look on the Royalty FAQ for the second answer, but THAT particular section
seems to be tweaked at the moment).
MarleneKoenig
2004-07-14 23:12:15 UTC
Post by Gidzmo
How will the newborn be known within the family? And what is the current line
of succession in Luxembourg?
probably known as Jean ...

The succession - Guillaume is the Hereditary Prince followed by his brothers,
and then his uncle Guillaume and his sons.

author of A Grand Alliance - the descendants of Grand Duke Michael of Russia
and Countess Sophie von Merenberg. For more information, write to
***@aol.com
edespalais
2004-07-15 03:17:42 UTC
Post by MarleneKoenig
Post by Gidzmo
How will the newborn be known within the family? And what is the current line
of succession in Luxembourg?
probably known as Jean ...
The succession - Guillaume is the Hereditary Prince followed by his brothers,
and then his uncle Guillaume and his sons.
When can be given birth again? (Women - by nature - are always good in such
calculations)
Dag T. Hoelseth
2004-07-15 07:38:25 UTC
Post by Gidzmo
Prss Sibilla, wife of Pr Guillaume of Luxembourg, youngest son of the former
GD Jean of Luxembourg, yesterday 13 July 2004 at 2 p.m. gave birth to a son at
the Maternité Grande-Duchesse Charlotte (weight 3380 g, height 51 cm). The
little prince of Nassau has been named Jean André Guillaume Marie Gabriel Marc
D'Aviano
How will the newborn be known within the family?
Prince Jean, I suppose.
Post by Gidzmo
And what is the current line
of succession in Luxembourg?
(I'd look on the Royalty FAQ for the second answer, but THAT particular section
seems to be tweaked at the moment).
Line of succession to the Grand Ducal Throne of Luxembourg:

1. HRH Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1981)
2. HRH Prince Félix of Luxembourg (b. 1984)
3. HRH Prince Louis of Luxembourg (b. 1986)
4. HRH Prince Sébastian of Luxembourg (b. 1992)
5. HRH Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1963)
6. HRH Prince Paul-Louis of Nassau (b. 1998)
7. HRH Prince Léopold of Nassau (b. 2000)
8. HRH Prince Jean of Nassau (b. 2004)

If all the princes above should die, then the Grand Duke's only
daughter, Princess Alexandra, b. 1991, would inherit (but only if all
the above died before the current Grand Duke).

Dag T. Hoelseth

http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Uwe
2004-07-15 08:13:31 UTC
Post by Dag T. Hoelseth
1. HRH Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1981)
2. HRH Prince Félix of Luxembourg (b. 1984)
3. HRH Prince Louis of Luxembourg (b. 1986)
4. HRH Prince Sébastian of Luxembourg (b. 1992)
5. HRH Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1963)
6. HRH Prince Paul-Louis of Nassau (b. 1998)
7. HRH Prince Léopold of Nassau (b. 2000)
8. HRH Prince Jean of Nassau (b. 2004)
If all the princes above should die, then the Grand Duke's only
daughter, Princess Alexandra, b. 1991, would inherit (but only if all
the above died before the current Grand Duke).
The last statement is somehow doubtful. We discussed that in the threads
titled "Re: Luxembourg record" and "Re: Marriage of Grand Duchess
Josephine-Charlotte".
Dag T. Hoelseth
2004-07-15 16:02:11 UTC
Post by Uwe
Post by Dag T. Hoelseth
1. HRH Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1981)
2. HRH Prince Félix of Luxembourg (b. 1984)
3. HRH Prince Louis of Luxembourg (b. 1986)
4. HRH Prince Sébastian of Luxembourg (b. 1992)
5. HRH Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1963)
6. HRH Prince Paul-Louis of Nassau (b. 1998)
7. HRH Prince Léopold of Nassau (b. 2000)
8. HRH Prince Jean of Nassau (b. 2004)
If all the princes above should die, then the Grand Duke's only
daughter, Princess Alexandra, b. 1991, would inherit (but only if all
the above died before the current Grand Duke).
The last statement is somehow doubtful. We discussed that in the threads
titled "Re: Luxembourg record" and "Re: Marriage of Grand Duchess
Josephine-Charlotte".
Thanks for correcting me. I don't think I ever studied the details of that
thread at the time.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=no&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=48c49fa5.0302110436.3835d2d4%40posting.google.com

If I understand Mr. Velde's and Mr. Stewart's comments correctly, we do not
know for sure what would happen if the male line of Grand Duchess Charlotte
died out.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=no&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=6c93cb6e.0305040430.75e97aaf%40posting.google.com

It is all very theoretical, of course. And who knows, the succession law
might be changed in a not too distant future.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=no&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=6INvc.5987%24RL3.106509%40news2.e.nsc.no
--
Dag T. Hoelseth
***@nospam.online.no
http://www.geocities.com/dagtho/royalty.html
Frank Johansen
2004-07-15 16:41:56 UTC
Post by Dag T. Hoelseth
1. HRH Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1981)
2. HRH Prince Félix of Luxembourg (b. 1984)
3. HRH Prince Louis of Luxembourg (b. 1986)
4. HRH Prince Sébastian of Luxembourg (b. 1992)
5. HRH Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1963)
6. HRH Prince Paul-Louis of Nassau (b. 1998)
7. HRH Prince Léopold of Nassau (b. 2000)
8. HRH Prince Jean of Nassau (b. 2004)
If all the princes above should die, then the Grand Duke's only
daughter, Princess Alexandra, b. 1991, would inherit (but only if all
the above died before the current Grand Duke).
Actually, that is not quite correct. Next would be:
9. HRH Prince Robert of Luxembourg (b. 1968)

Then it's a bit unclear, but it seems that only the daughters of Grand
Duke Guillaume IV (1852-1912), and their male-line offspring, were given
succession rights, and not women in general. Therefore, next in line
would be:
10. Dedo Prinz von Sachsen (b. 1922)
11. Rüdiger Prinz von Sachsen (b. 1953)
12. Daniel Prinz von Sachsen (b. 1975)
13. Arne Prinz von Sachsen (b. 1977)
14. Niels Prinz von Sachsen (b. 1978)

#10.-#14. might be out of the succession if they were the descendants of
Princess Sophie of Luxembourg (1902-1941) were required to seek
permisson for their marriages from the sovereign of Luxembourg. I'm
pretty sure they didn't bother.

Regards
Frank H. Johansen
Dag T. Hoelseth
2004-07-15 17:12:33 UTC
Post by Frank Johansen
Post by Dag T. Hoelseth
1. HRH Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1981)
2. HRH Prince Félix of Luxembourg (b. 1984)
3. HRH Prince Louis of Luxembourg (b. 1986)
4. HRH Prince Sébastian of Luxembourg (b. 1992)
5. HRH Prince Guillaume of Luxembourg (b. 1963)
6. HRH Prince Paul-Louis of Nassau (b. 1998)
7. HRH Prince Léopold of Nassau (b. 2000)
8. HRH Prince Jean of Nassau (b. 2004)
If all the princes above should die, then the Grand Duke's only
daughter, Princess Alexandra, b. 1991, would inherit (but only if all
the above died before the current Grand Duke).
9. HRH Prince Robert of Luxembourg (b. 1968)
Thanks, I had forgotten about him. For some reason he is not included in the
FAQ.
Post by Frank Johansen
Then it's a bit unclear, but it seems that only the daughters of Grand
Duke Guillaume IV (1852-1912), and their male-line offspring, were given
succession rights, and not women in general.
[...]

Maybe the FAQ should be modified to acknowledge this. As of now it only says
(unless I have overlooked something) that the succession law is Semi-Salic.
--
Dag T. Hoelseth
***@nospam.online.no