Aristocratic deaths, January, 2004
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-05 10:02:06 UTC
Death of the first peer in 2004. Lord Gallacher, a lifelong supporter
of the Co-operative movement and former Labour spokesman in the House
of Lords, died in hospital at Folkestone, 4 January, 2004, aged 83. He
had been suffering from cancer and heart problems.

He was born John Gallacher, 7 May, 1920, the son of William Gallacher
and Jane Stewart, and was educated at St Patrick's High School,
Dumbarton; Co-Operative College, Loughborough.

Career: Chartered Secretary; President Enfield Highway Co-operative
Society, 1954-68; President, Institute of Meat, 1983-86; Secretary,
International Co-operative Alliance, 1963-67; Parliamentary Secretary,
Co-operative Union, 1974-83; Member of the Select Committee on the
European Communities, 1983-89; Chief opposition spokesman on
agriculture and food, 1989-92. He was elevated to the Lords in 1982 as
a life peer as Baron Gallacher, of Enfield in Greater London. In
Parliament, he spoke out on Europe and farming issues.

Announcing the death, Lord Gallacher's close colleague Lord Graham of
Edmonton said: "He worked for the Co-operative movement all his life.
"He was an expert on agriculture and European affairs. When he came to
the Lords he immediately formed a triple alliance with Lord John
Mackie, a farmer, and the whip Lord Denis Carter. "The three of them
were acknowledged as the most effective frontbench team on agriculture
in the Lords."

He married in 1947, Freda Vivian Chittenden, and he was the father of
a son, Robert.

-- Michael Rhodes
(Please remove x to e-mail me)
Peter Tilman
2004-01-05 10:16:03 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Announcing the death, Lord Gallacher's close colleague Lord Graham of
Edmonton said: "He worked for the Co-operative movement all his life.
"He was an expert on agriculture and European affairs. When he came to
the Lords he immediately formed a triple alliance with Lord John
Mackie, a farmer, and the whip Lord Denis Carter. "The three of them
were acknowledged as the most effective frontbench team on agriculture
in the Lords."
I didn't know there were any Dukes or Marquesses with the surnames Mackie
and Carter. I also didn't know that younger sons of Peers could sit in the
House of Lords. Oh well, you learn something new every day.
Don Aitken
2004-01-05 10:44:44 UTC
Post by Peter Tilman
Post by Michael Rhodes
Announcing the death, Lord Gallacher's close colleague Lord Graham of
Edmonton said: "He worked for the Co-operative movement all his life.
"He was an expert on agriculture and European affairs. When he came to
the Lords he immediately formed a triple alliance with Lord John
Mackie, a farmer, and the whip Lord Denis Carter. "The three of them
were acknowledged as the most effective frontbench team on agriculture
in the Lords."
I didn't know there were any Dukes or Marquesses with the surnames Mackie
and Carter. I also didn't know that younger sons of Peers could sit in the
House of Lords. Oh well, you learn something new every day.
I think one can safely say that this is not just ignorance. It is part
of a deliberate and concerted attempt by Labour life peers to force
the abandonment of the forms of address which a few old fuddy-duddies
like us regard as correct and replace them with something more to
their own taste. I have little doubt that they will succeed.
--
Don Aitken

Mail to the addresses given in the headers is no longer being
read. To mail me, substitute "clara.co.uk" for "freeuk.com".
Peter Tilman
2004-01-05 11:43:39 UTC
Post by Don Aitken
Post by Peter Tilman
Post by Michael Rhodes
[...]
The Times still uses the correct forms (and probably always will), so all
hope is not yet lost.

What I don't understand is why, if he absolutely must show Lord Carter's
Christian name for some unknown reason (it's not like it adds anything to
the story, or like there are hundreds of Lord Carters running around), he
can't use the Alfred Lord Tennyson method and call him Denis Lord Carter
instead of trying to claim that he is something he is not.

It seems that the late John Mackie was of the George George-Brown school of
peerage titles and was actually Lord John-Mackie, so Lord Graham of Edmonton
(who probably calls himself Lord Thomas Graham) could mention his name
without even using an incorrect form, although he should probably call him
John Lord John-Mackie for consistency's sake.

Forget about expelling the hereditary Peers; if I were Prime Minister I'd
expel anyone who couldn't use their title correctly. (Lady Kennedy of The
Shaws would be first, I suspect.)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-05 14:13:50 UTC
"Peter Tilman" <***@cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<3ff94d7d$***@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...

<<snip>>
Post by Peter Tilman
It seems that the late John Mackie was of the George George-Brown school of
peerage titles and was actually Lord John-Mackie, so Lord Graham of Edmonton
(who probably calls himself Lord Thomas Graham) could mention his name
without even using an incorrect form, although he should probably call him
John Lord John-Mackie for consistency's sake.
I think I have read that the current Garter King of Arms greatly
disaproves of the use of the christian name coupled with a surname in
a peerage title. He persuaded the former Speaker of the Commons not to
become Baroness Betty-Boothroyd. Perhaps we have seen the last of such
titles?
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-06 01:05:13 UTC
Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir John Grandy, GCB, GCVO, KBE, DSO,
RAF, Constable and Governor of Windsor Castle 1978-88, died at Slough,
Berkshire, 2 January, 2004. He was aged 90.

He married in 1937 Cecile Elizabeth Florence Rankin, CStJ, (1914-93),
younger daughter of Sir Robert Rankin, 1st and last Baronet
(1877-1960), MP for Kirkdale Div. of Liverpool, Oct 1931-June, 1945,
by his first wife, the former Renee Helen Mary Baker. Grandy leaves
two sons, John and William.

Michael Rhodes (Please delete x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-06 14:40:21 UTC
Gordon Chevallier Cobbold, President of the British Motor Cycle Racing
Club; born 30 December, 1903, son of Henry Montagu Chevallier Cobbold
(1861-1917) (of the landed family of Glemham Hall, by his second wife,
the former Isabel Maud Mary Falcon); died unmarried "shortly after
celebrating his 100th birthday". The Telegraph death notice didn't
specify whether the gents death took place 31 Dec 2003, or in 2004.
--
Michael Rhodes
(Please erase x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-06 23:57:18 UTC
Humphrey Roger Swire, late the Royal Dragoons; born 17 October, 1934,
son of Colonel Cyril George William Swire, 1st Royal Dragoons, by his
wife Doris Warner; scion of the Swire family of Hubbards Hall, Harlow,
Essex, and Hillingdon House; was educated at Eton; married 19 July,
1956, Philippa Sophia, the only daughter of Lieutenant-Colonel George
Jardine Kidston-Montgomerie of Southannan, DSO, MC; 2 sons, (i) Mark,
and (ii) Hugo Swire, Tory MP, and one daughter, Anna-Sophia; died
suddenly whilst out shooting, 3 January, 2004. He was 69.

-- Michael Rhodes
(Please remove x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-10 00:08:00 UTC
Frances Countess of Shelburne, (nee Eliot) first wife of the current
9th Marquess of Lansdowne, and daughter of the 9th Earl of St Germans
by his 1st wife Helen Mary Villiers, of the Earls of Clarendon, died
in a London hospital, 6 January, 2004. She was 60.

Society beauty (and not infrequently mentioned in the British gossip
columns in the 60s/70s) she lived in childhood at the romantic 6,000
acre Port Eliot estate on the Tamar estuary in Cornwall. Her mother
died when she was a child and she and her brother Peregrine (now 10th
Earl of St Germans) were left in the care of their grandmother - who
died in 1962 - and grandfather - once described as "having all the
stiffness of a poker with none of its occasional warmth."

She married the heir to the 8th Marquess of Lansdowne in 1965, and
after producing 2 sons and 2 daughters divorced in the mid-80s. Lady S
was romantically linked with a prominent Conservative Cabinet Minister
(and former Deputy PM).
Post by Michael Rhodes
-- Michael Rhodes
(Please remove x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-11 15:10:01 UTC
Donald Cassels Dashwood, born 1914, descended from Richard Dashwood,
of Cockley Cley, Norfolk, brother of the 1st Baronet (of Kirtlington
Park, Oxon) and in special remainder to that baronetcy (1684), married
1941, Rachel McAnally, died leaving issue, 4 January, 2004. He was 89.

Kenelm George Wingfield Digby, scion of the landed family of Sherborne
Castle and Coleshill, husband of Belinda, died 7 January, 2004. His
paternal grandmother was Mary Ranee Paget, daughter of Brig-Gen
Wellesley Lynedoch Paget, CB, CMG, CVO, of the Marquesses of Anglesey.
Post by Michael Rhodes
-- Michael Rhodes
(Please remove x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-13 10:26:05 UTC
Baroness Pike, DBE, died 11 Jnauary, 2004, aged 85, was, as Mervyn
Pike, Conservative MP for Melton from 1956 to 1974 and a junior
minister in the Macmillan government. She was awarded a life peerage
in 1974.
Post by Michael Rhodes
-- Michael Rhodes
(Please remove x to e-mail me)
Don Aitken
2004-01-13 16:46:49 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Baroness Pike, DBE, died 11 Jnauary, 2004, aged 85, was, as Mervyn
Pike, Conservative MP for Melton from 1956 to 1974 and a junior
minister in the Macmillan government. She was awarded a life peerage
in 1974.
"Ted Heath's first task after the 1966 election defeat was to form a
shadow cabinet," Jim Prior recalled. "My advice was asked on only one
aspect. We still thought in terms of appointing a 'statutory woman.'
'Who should it be?' asked Ted. 'Margaret Thatcher,' was my immediate
reply. There was a long silence. 'Yes,' he said, 'Willie Whitelaw
agrees she's much the most able, but he says once she's there we'll
never get rid of her, so we both think it's got to be Mervyn Pike.'"

From http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=6250, which cites no
source; it does sound a little too good to be true.

Michael Rhodes
2004-01-14 09:38:47 UTC
Post by Don Aitken
Post by Michael Rhodes
Baroness Pike, DBE, died 11 Jnauary, 2004, aged 85, was, as Mervyn
Pike, Conservative MP for Melton from 1956 to 1974 and a junior
minister in the Macmillan government. She was awarded a life peerage
in 1974.
"Ted Heath's first task after the 1966 election defeat was to form a
shadow cabinet," Jim Prior recalled. "My advice was asked on only one
aspect. We still thought in terms of appointing a 'statutory woman.'
'Who should it be?' asked Ted. 'Margaret Thatcher,' was my immediate
reply. There was a long silence. 'Yes,' he said, 'Willie Whitelaw
agrees she's much the most able, but he says once she's there we'll
never get rid of her, so we both think it's got to be Mervyn Pike.'"
From http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=6250, which cites no
source; it does sound a little too good to be true.
I like that one, Don
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-14 09:56:57 UTC
Betty Lyne Tiarks, who died 7 January, 2004, aged 91, was the daughter
of Henry Stock, of Istanbul, Turkey, and m. 1934, the Right Rev
Geoffrey Lewis Tiarks, Bishop Suffragan of Maidstone and senior
Chaplain to the Archbishop of Canterbury, scion of Tiarks LG, and
cousin of Capt Mark Phillips, first husband of HRH The Princess Royal.

Susan Hillary Philippa Malcolm, who died at her home at Duntrune
Castle, Kilmartin, Argyll, 8 January, 2004, aged 64, was the wife of
Robin Neil Lochnell Malcolm (19th) of Poltalloch, Chief of the Clan
Malcolm.

She was born as Susan Hillary Philippa Freeman, 17 March, 1939,
younger daughter of Air Chief Marshal Sir Wilfred Rhodes Freeman, 1st
Baronet, GCB, DSO, MC (1888-1953), by his second wife, the former
Elizabeth Richmond.

She marrried Robin Malcolm in 1962. Her husband's paternal
grandmother, the former Jeanne Marie Langtry, was officially the
daughter of Edward Langtry and of Lillie Langtry, the actress, but
according to the family Jeanne Marie was a product of a liaison
between Lillie and Prince Louis of Battenberg (later 1st Marquess of
Milford Haven), and was thus a half-sister of Dickie Mountbatten (1st
Earl Mountbatten of Burma), and aunt of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

Robin Malcolm was Vice Lord-Lieutenant of Argyll & Bute 1996-2001.

She is survived by her husband and by her children, Iain, Kirsty, Andy
and Josie.

Sir James Colyer-Fergusson, 4th & last Baronet, died 9 January, 2004.
He was aged 86. He succeeded his grandfather in 1951. The baronetcy
had been created in 1866 for an eminent surgeon, and the family later
assumed the additional surname of Colyer.

--

Michael Rhodes
(Please remove x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-15 13:36:40 UTC
Capt Henry Lockhart St John Fancourt, b. 1900, son of Brig-Gen St John
Fancourt Michell Fancourt, CB (1847-1917), by his wife Ethel, daughter
of Sir Henry Samuel Wiggin, 1st Baronet (1824-1905), died 7 January,
2004, aged 103.
Post by Michael Rhodes
Michael Rhodes
(Please delete x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-16 01:14:28 UTC
Canadian-born Kathleen Duchess of Portland, widow of the 9th (and
last) Duke of Portland, died in London, 10 January, 2004, aged 92.
Post by Michael Rhodes
Post by Michael Rhodes
Michael Rhodes
(Please delete x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-20 00:34:17 UTC
Barbara, Baroness Colyton, who died in New York, 15 January, 2004, was
the second wife and widow of the 1st Baron Colyton, PC, CMG (1902-96).
She was circa 85.

She was the former Barbara Estella Barb, a lawyer, daughter of Stephen
Barb, of New York. Her first marriage was to the _New Yorker_
cartoonist Charles Addams.

Her second marriage to the newly ennobled Lord Colyton took place
_secretly_ in London, in December, 1956, when she was 37.

Her husband, as Henry Hopkinson, was Conservative MP for Taunton,
1950-56, Minister of State for Colonial Affairs, 1952-55.

Lord Colyton died at Monte Carlo, 6 January, 1996, aged 94. The Daily
Telegraph had prematurely carried a lengthy obituary for him on the
previous 30 December, to be followed on 1 January, with an apology
that began _Lord Colyton is not dead as we reported on Dec 30_ he is
in fact in hospital in Monte Carlo_.

-- Michael Rhodes (Remove x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-21 09:06:11 UTC
Sir Robert Ropner, 4th Baronet, head of a renowned shipbuilding/owning
dynasty, died at Swaffham Prior, Norfolk, 12 January, 2004. He was
aged 82.

Robert Douglas Ropner was born 1 December, 1921, son of Sir (Emil Hugo
Oscar) Robert Ropner, 3rd Baronet (1893-1962), by his wife Lillian
Rochfort Snow, daughter of Colonel Rochfort Snow, of Christchurch, New
Zealand.

Robert's great-grandfather, another Robert, was a steamship owner of
West Hartlepool and a steamship builder of Stockton-on-Tees, and sat
as Conservative MP for Stockton-on-Tees, 1900-1910. He was born at
Magdeburg, in Germany, the son of a Prussian army officer. He did not,
however, remain long in the Fatherland and quite early in his career
he became a naturalised Englishman. He started life by running away to
sea, making his way to Hamburg, seeking employment on a vessel bound
for Australia; but instead he crossed to Hartlepool, and the North Sea
behaving very unkindly, his adventurous fancies were knocked out of
him, and he decided to find work on shore and settled in England. He
built one of the biggest and prosperous shipbuilding concerns in the
North of England, & was created a Baronet in 1904.

Our subject (the fourth Bart) was educated at Harrow, and served as a
Captain in the Royal Artillery (Burma Star), and succeeded to the
baronetcy on the demise of his father, 5 May, 1962.

He married in 1943, Patricia Kathleen, daughter of W.E. Scofield, of
West Malling, Kent, by whom he had one son and one daughter.

The baronetcy now passes to his son, Robert Clinton (Robin) Ropner,
born 6 February, 1949, who is married with a son and a daughter.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-21 14:16:10 UTC
Margaret Patricia de Chair, who died 13 January, 2004, aged 87, was
the third of the four wives (between 1958 and 1974) of Somerset de
Chair (of that landed family), Conservative MP for SW Norfolk,
1935-45, & for South Paddington 1950-51. She was the former Margaret
Field-Hart. Her first husband (by whom she had a son) was a Mr
Manlove. By Mr de De Chair she had a daughter, Teresa.

Hugh Alexander Verney, who was b. 14 April, 1920, third son of Sir
Harry Calvert Williams Verney, 4th Baronet, (of Claydon House), by his
wife, the former Lady Rachel Catherine Bruce, daughter of the 9th Earl
of Elgin & Kincardine, KG, died 14 January, 2004. He was married and
leaves issue.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-22 01:08:56 UTC
Michael David Adam Hanmer, b. 30 May, 1935, scion of the Hanmer
Baronets, died 19 January, 2004, aged 68.

Walter George Glynn Petre, b. 28 October, 1906, scion of the Barons
Petre, died at Guernsey, Channel Islands, 19 January, 2004, aged 97.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-22 09:28:12 UTC
Francis Trajan Sacheverell Sitwell, b. 17 September, 1935, yr son of
Sir Sacheverell Sitwell, 6th Baronet, CH, and brother & heir pres. to
Sir Reresby Sitwell, 7th Baronet, died 14 January, 2004. He married in
1966, Susanna Carolyn, dau of Sir Ronald Hibbert Cross, KCMG, KCVO,
1st Baronet (and a sister of the second wife of the 8th Marquess of
Downshire); 2 sons, 1 daughter; the heir pres to the baronetcy is the
elder son, George Reresby Sacheverell, b. 1967.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-23 10:01:58 UTC
The Hon Raymond Henry Bonham Carter, died at his home, 17 January,
2004. He was aged 74. He was born 19 June, 1929, the son of Sir
Maurice Bonham Carter, KCB, KCVO, by his wife Lady Violet Asquith
(afterwards Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury), and was a grandson of the
Liberal statesman (and Prime Minister), H.H. Asquith, afterwards 1st
Earl of Oxford & Asquith. He married in 1958, Elena Propper de
Callejon; by whom he had two sons, Edward and Thomas, and one
daughter, Helena, the actress.

The Times reports the demise of one Michael Henry Asquith, at
Overbury, near Tewkesbury (cousin of the above?) who died 19 January,
2004. Is this a grandson of the 1st Earl of Oxford & Asquith, born 25
July, 1914 (son of the PM's second son, Herbert, who married Lady
Cynthia Charteris, daughter of the 11th Earl of Wemyss?)

Philip Peter Davies-Cooke, of Gwysaney Hall, Mold, Flintshire, scion
of the Cooke Baronets (cr 1661), born 4 July, 1925; married 1957, Jane
Coryton (of that landed family, by whom he had issue; died at his
home, 16 January, 2004, aged 78.

-- Michael Rhodes (delete x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-24 14:36:56 UTC
The Hon Elizabeth Jane Pease (nee Ormsby-Gore) died 19 January, 2004,
aged 74. She was born 14 November, 1929, the sixth and youngest child
of the 4th Baron Harlech, KG, PC, GCMG, DL, JP, by his wife Lady
Beatrice Edith Mildred Gascoyne-Cecil, daughter of the 4th Marquess of
Salisbury; married 1962, the Hon William Simon Pease, yr son of the
1st Baron Wardington; no children.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-26 09:30:05 UTC
The Canadian newspaper _The Globe and Mail_ has reported the demise of
the 6th Vicount Hardinge. The peer is reported to have died at Darien,
Connecticut, United States, 18 January, 2004, at the age of 47. He had
suffered a lengthy illness.

Lord Hardinge was Senior Manager, Global Private Banking, Royal Bank
of Canada Europe Ltd.

He was born 25 August, 1956, as Charles Henry Nicholas Hardinge,
eldest son of the 5th Viscount, by his first wife, Zoe Anne, daughter
of the Canadian Senator and brewery magnate, Hartland de Montarville
Molson, OBE, of Montreal.

The 5th Viscount was Senior Vice-President, World Corporate Banking,
Royal Bank of Canada.

His grandfather, the 4th holder of the peerage, had also married a
Canadian, Margaret Fleming, daughter of Hugh Fleming, of Rockcliffe,
Ottawa.

He succeeded his father in 1984, as 6th Viscount Hardinge, of Lahore
and King's Newton, in Derbyshire. The peerage had been awarded, in
1846, to his ancestor, Field Marshal Sir Henry Hardinge, GCB, PC,
Chief Secretary for Ireland, then Secretary for War, and
Governor-General of India 1844-48. The first Viscount married a
daughter of the 1st Marquess of Londonderry.

The 2nd Viscount married Lady Lavinia Bingham, daughter of the 3rd
Earl of Lucan; and the 3rd Viscount married a Nevill, of the family of
the Marquess of Abergavenny.

He married in 1985, Mrs Julie Therese Sillett, the eldest daughter of
Keith Sillett, of Sydney, Australia, by whom he had two daughters,
Emilie Charlotte (born in 1986) and Olivia Margaux (born in 1989).

In 1986 he succeeded his cousin, Sir Robert Arnold Hardinge, 7th
Baronet, in his baronetcy.

The viscountcy and baronetcy now devolve on the viscount's next
brother, the Hon Andrew Hartland Hardinge (b. 7 January, 1960), who
married in 1990, Sophia Mary Bagnell (a descendant of the Grosvenor
Earls of Wilton); two sons, and one daughter. The elder son, Thomas
Henry de Montarville Hardinge, was b. 19 June, 1993.
Sharon
2004-01-26 14:30:44 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
-- Michael Rhodes (delete x to e-mail me)
Would you have the name & birthyear of the daughter?

Thanks.
Michael Rhodes
Hon Melissa Laura Rose Hardinge, b. 13 December, 1999.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-27 00:35:54 UTC
The Hon Nicola Gladys Renny (nee Moncreiff); who was b. 1917, a
daughter of the 4th Baron Moncreiff (1872-1942), by his wife, the
former Lucy Vida Anderson; married (i) 1940 (k/a 1943) Capt Frederick
Gifford, Royal Artillery; m. (ii), 1946, Lieut Charles John Derek
Renny, RNVR, who d. 1970; leaves issue from both marriages; was sister
of the 5th Baron Moncreiff (1915-2002), and aunt of the 6th peer; died
Guernsey, Channel Islands, 22 January, 2004, aged 86.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-28 00:44:22 UTC
John Waldo Edward Hay-Drummond-Hay, b. 21 February, 1906; scion of the
Earls of Kinnoull, son of Edward William Hay-Drummond-Hay (1877-1941)
by his wife Margaret Alice Meade-Waldo (of that landed family); m.
1937, Anne Rachel Prideaux; 2 sons, 1 daughter; died 25 January, 2004,
aged 97.

Baroness Strauss, who died 25 January, 2004, aged 96, was second wife,
and widow, of the Baron Strauss, PC (1901-93), who as George Strauss
was a Labour MP and Minister of Supply in the Attlee Administration.
As Mrs Benita Eleonora Armstrong she married the peer in 1987. He died
5 June, 1993.

Marion Frances (Bunty) Anstruther, who died 25 January, 2004, aged 83,
was the third wife and widow of Colonel Philip Noel Anstruther, DSO,
MC (1891-1960), scion of the Anstruther Baronets of Balcaskie (1694)
and of Anstruther (1700). She married Col Anstruther in 1957, as Mrs
Marion Secretan, the daughter of Ivor and Musset Gregor Macgregor.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-28 01:10:32 UTC
Two Labour life peers are no more. (i) Baron Scanlon (Hugh Parr
Scanlon), b. 26 October, 1913; trade unionist, President Amalgamated
Union of Engineering Workers 1967-78; Chairman Engineering Industry
Training Board from 1975; Member of the British Gas Corporation;
created 1978, Baron Scanlon, of Davyhulme, County of Greater
Manchester; m 1943, Nora, dau of James Markey, by whom he had two
daughters.

(ii) Baron Jenkins of Putney (Hugh Gater Jenkins), politician, trade
unionist and writer: born Enfield, Middlesex, 27 July 1908; Chairman,
Victory for Socialism 1956-60; Assistant General Secretary, British
Actors' Equity Association 1957-64; Joint Secretary, Theatres'
Advisory Council 1963, Chairman 1964-74, 1976-86, Vice-President
1986-95, President 1996-2004; MP (Labour) for Putney 1964-79; Minister
for the Arts 1974-76; Chairman, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
1979-81, Vice-President 1981-2004; created 1981 Baron Jenkins of
Putney; married 1936 Marie Crosbie (died 1989), 1991 Helena Pavlidis
(died 1994); died Twickenham, Middlesex 26 January 2004.
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-28 09:01:41 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Two Labour life peers are no more. (i) Baron Scanlon (Hugh Parr
Scanlon), b. 26 October, 1913; trade unionist, President Amalgamated
Union of Engineering Workers 1967-78; Chairman Engineering Industry
Training Board from 1975; Member of the British Gas Corporation;
created 1978, Baron Scanlon, of Davyhulme, County of Greater
Manchester; m 1943, Nora, dau of James Markey, by whom he had two
daughters.
Scanlon died 27 January, 2004.
Louis Epstein
2004-01-28 19:13:01 UTC
Michael Rhodes <***@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
: Two Labour life peers are no more.

I wonder if the mortality of his cronies is what is
leading Tony to want more "working peers"?

Originally there weren't supposed to be any more
additions to the Lords for legislative reasons until
the "reforms" were done.

Michael Rhodes
2004-01-30 00:49:15 UTC
Anne Hervey-Bathurst, who died in New Zealand, 27 January, 2004, was
the second wife, and widow, of Benjamin (Ben) Alexander Frederick
Hervey-Bathurst, OBE (1920-97), scion of the Hervey-Bathurst Baronets,
and descended from a seventh son of the 1st Earl of Bristol; she was
Mrs Anne Pollak, former wife of Robert Pollak, & only daughter of the
Rev Thomas Vernon Garnier, OBE; and married Hervey-Bathurst in 1992.
He died 18 October, 1997. She leaves three daughters from her first
marriage, Joanna, Emma and Harriet.

--

Michael Rhodes
(Please delete x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-01-31 00:58:33 UTC
Faith Norman-Butler, who died 25 January, 2004, aged 89, was born
Faith Marianne Hambro, of the landed family of that name, 3 April,
1914, second daughter of Bertram Emil Hambro [1880-1915] by his wife,
Margaret Constance Nevile Lubbock [d. 1961], of the Barons Avebury;
married 1936, Nicholas Norman-Butler (of Butler formerly of Bourton);
2 sons, 3 daughters.

--

Michael Rhodes
(Please delete x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-02-04 10:35:20 UTC
Mary Gracia Howard, who died at her home in Kent, 30 January, 2004,
was the second wife, and widow, of Stafford Vaughan Stepney Howard, of
Greystoke Castle, Penrith, Cumbria, scion of the Dukes of Norfolk.

She was Mary Gracia Neville, daughter of George Wilder Neville, of
Portsmouth, Virginia, United States, and married Mr Howard in 1940.
She leaves issue.

Michael Rhodes (please delete x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-02-04 10:37:25 UTC
Sir Nigel Edward Strutt, Kt, TD, DL, former Managing Director, Lord
Rayleigh's Farms; Strutt & Parker (Farms), etc, died 28 January, 2004.
He was aged 87.

He was born 18 January, 1916, son of Capt Edward Jolliffe Strutt
(1884-1964), scion of the Barons Rayleigh, by his wife, Amelie Devas,
and was educated at Winchester and Wye Agricultural College.

Career: Essex Yeomanry (Major) 1937-56; Member, Eastern Electricity
Board, 1964-76; Member, Agricultural Advisory Council from 1963,
(Chairman 1969-73; Chairman, Advisory Council for Agriculture and
Horticulture, 1973-80); Member, National Economic Development Council
for Agriculture, 1967-82; President, Country Landowners' Association,
1967-69; President, British Friesian Cattle Society, 1974-75;
President, Royal Agricultural Society of England, 1982-83; Master of
the Farmers' Company, 1976-77; &c.

Strutt, of Sparrows, Terling, Essex, was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant
for Essex in 1954; and served as High Sheriff of Essex in 1966. He was
knighted in 1972.

He never married. The funeral takes place at Terling Church, 23
February, 2004. --

Michael Rhodes (please erase x to e-mail me)
Michael Rhodes
2004-02-06 02:44:09 UTC
Barney (Barnabas?) Robertson-Glasgow, scion of the landed family of
Robertson-Glasgow formerly of Montgreenan, & descended from the landed
Scots family of Campbell of Inverneil, died suddenly, 31 January,
Michael Rhodes
2004-02-12 01:38:17 UTC
John Roberts Chanter, librarian and conservationist: born Folkestone,
Kent, 15 August 1929; died at Gajan, France, 16 January, 2004. He
married in 1980, the Hon Laura Mary Clare Buchan (born 1953), daughter
of the 3rd Baron Tweedsmuir; four daughters, (i) Bacchante
Pallas-Athene, b. 1981, (ii) Artemis Helen Bacchante, b. 1982 (iii)
Aphrodite Barbara Bacchante, b. 1984, (iv) Demeter Violetta Bacchante,
b. 1988. A son, Bacchus, born in 1976 (before they married) was killed
in a motor accident in 1980.

See the interesting Independent obit: -

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/story.jsp?story=490406
Michael Rhodes
2004-02-26 02:35:26 UTC
Lieutenant-Colonel James [Jimmy] Innes, late the Coldstream Guards;
who was born 7 June, 1915, died 28 January, 2004. He was the son of
Colonel [James] Archibald Innes, who won a DSO in the Boer War [d.
1948], & his wife, Lady Barbara Lowther [1890-?], daughter of the 6th
Earl of Lonsdale, OBE, DL, JP [1867-1953]; married in 1941, the Hon.
[Veronica Wenefryde] Nefertari Bethell (b. 1917), whose father, the
Hon. Richard Bethell, had entered Tutenkhamen's tomb with the Earl of
Carnarvon & Howard Carter [hence her Egyptian christian name], and he
died also from the so-called _curse_. Nefertari Innes's brother was
the 5th Baron Westbury, MC [1922-2001]; Lt-Col Innes is survived by
his wife, two sons and a daughter.

A para from his DT obit: [his mother] _a famous horsewoman who ran off
when her son was only three. (Years later Jimmy Innes remarked to a
friend in the car park at Newbury racecourse: "Who's that
extraordinary-looking woman over there?" "Surely you know," the friend
replied. "It's your mother.")_.
Michael Rhodes
2004-02-26 12:24:21 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Lieutenant-Colonel James [Jimmy] Innes, late the Coldstream Guards;
who was born 7 June, 1915, died 28 January, 2004. married in 1941, the Hon.
[Veronica Wenefryde] Nefertari Bethell (b. 1917), whose father, the
Hon. Richard Bethell, had entered Tutenkhamen's tomb with the Earl of
Carnarvon & Howard Carter [hence her Egyptian christian name], and he
died also from the so-called _curse_.
I [and the Telegraph] may be in error here. Bethell named his daughter
Nefertari in 1917 - this was several years before he entered the tomb
of King Tut, no? He was an egyptologist of some years standing
however, and this was why she received the name.

Richard Bethell died suddenly in his sleep. He was only in his 40s,
after which his bereft father - Lord Westbury - committed suicide by
jumping from the window of his London flat.