Janet Orr-Ewing/Rev Geoffrey Woolley, VC
Michael Rhodes
2003-10-16 01:24:11 UTC
Can I beg somebody with a pre 1944 Debrett's to take a look at the
entry for the Orr Ewing Baronets (cr 1886) and reveal the names of the
son of Janet Beatrix Orr-Ewing (1890-1943) and her second husband, the
Rev Geoffrey Woolley, VC, & details of the Woolleys daughter, and
particularly details of the daughters marriage.

The son was killed in action in Tunisia in 1942, I think unm.

I did have the info some years ago and have since lost it. It's an
important missing link!

In anticipation - - -

Michael Rhodes
Connal Townsend
A suggestion for the son - why not try the Commonwealth War Graves web site?
Michael Rhodes
Good idea. I will take a lot therein.
Barry Noonan
2003-10-17 20:07:14 UTC
I spot-checked several volumes up to 1940 and no issue is mentioned
for Janet's 2nd marriage. Unfortunately the next volume I have access
to is 1951.

Barry C. Noonan
Madison, WI
Michael Rhodes
Barry Noonan
2003-10-17 20:37:13 UTC
Happily, Who's Who comes to the rescue!

Rev. Woolley was born 1892 May 14, married 2nd, 1945, Elsie Elisabeth
Nichols, and died 1968 Dec 10 (Times obit, Dec 12 p.12).

Janetta, dau of Geoffrey and Janet, married 1951 (div 1956), as 2nd
wife, Prof. Derek Ainslie Jackson, OBE, sometime Professor of
Spectroscopy at Oxford.

Derek Ainslie Jackson, born 1906 Jun 23; married 1st, 1936 (div 1951)
Hon. Pamela Freeman-Mitford (Redesdale, B); married 2nd, Janetta
Woolley, as above; married 3rd, 1957 (div 1959), Consuelo Regina Maria
Eyre, widow of Pr Ernst Ratibor zu Hohenlohe-Schillingsfuerst; married
4th, 1968, Marie Christine, dau of Baron Georges Reille, and died 1982
Feb 20 (Times obit Feb 25, p.12).

Derek and Janetta had two daughters.

Barry C. Noonan
Madison, WI
Michael Rhodes
2003-10-18 12:39:46 UTC
Post by Barry Noonan
Happily, Who's Who comes to the rescue!
Rev. Woolley was born 1892 May 14, married 2nd, 1945, Elsie Elisabeth
Nichols, and died 1968 Dec 10 (Times obit, Dec 12 p.12).
Janetta, dau of Geoffrey and Janet, married 1951 (div 1956), as 2nd
wife, Prof. Derek Ainslie Jackson, OBE, sometime Professor of
Spectroscopy at Oxford.
Derek Ainslie Jackson, born 1906 Jun 23; married 1st, 1936 (div 1951)
Hon. Pamela Freeman-Mitford (Redesdale, B); married 2nd, Janetta
Woolley, as above; married 3rd, 1957 (div 1959), Consuelo Regina Maria
Eyre, widow of Pr Ernst Ratibor zu Hohenlohe-Schillingsfuerst; married
4th, 1968, Marie Christine, dau of Baron Georges Reille, and died 1982
Feb 20 (Times obit Feb 25, p.12).
Derek and Janetta had two daughters.
Thanks, a great help. One of Derek and Janetta's daughters married
either (a) Arthur Patrick Maxwell (b. 8 Oct 1937), or (b) Terence
David Maxwell (b.17 March, 1945), both sons of Colonel Arthur Terence
Maxwell (b. 1905), by his wife, the former Beatrice Diane Chamberlain
(b. 1 Feb, 1912), only dau of the Rt Hon Sir Austen Chamberlain, KG,
PC (1863-1937) (See Burke's Landed Gentry - Chamberlain formerly of
Highbury). Sadly, by BLG is 1965 - prior to this marriage.

The actor Rupam Maxwell is the issue of the Maxwell/Woolley marriage.

--

Michael Rhodes
Post by Barry Noonan
Barry C. Noonan
Madison, WI
s***@gmail.com
2014-06-16 14:38:44 UTC
Post by Michael Rhodes
Post by Barry Noonan
Happily, Who's Who comes to the rescue!
Thanks, a great help. One of Derek and Janetta's daughters married
either (a) Arthur Patrick Maxwell (b. 8 Oct 1937), or (b) Terence
David Maxwell (b.17 March, 1945), both sons of Colonel Arthur Terence
Maxwell (b. 1905), by his wife, the former Beatrice Diane Chamberlain
(b. 1 Feb, 1912), only dau of the Rt Hon Sir Austen Chamberlain, KG,
PC (1863-1937) (See Burke's Landed Gentry - Chamberlain formerly of
Highbury). Sadly, by BLG is 1965 - prior to this marriage.
The actor Rupam Maxwell is the issue of the Maxwell/Woolley marriage.
--
Michael Rhodes
Hi Barry and Michael!

More than eleven years later, but Beatrice Diana Chamberlain (1912-1999) married Col Arthur Terence Maxwell (1905-1991). Only one son Arthur Patrick Maxwell listed. Rupam Maxwell (b 1972 Noa Rupam Maxwell) was son of a father with a military background, but no information on him is available I guess that people who want to keep things private can.
http://powys.org/pl_tree/ps52/ps52_442.html
http://www.geni.com/people/Arthur-Terrance-Maxwell/345399481420014790

[source from Internet]
BEATRICE DIANE CHAMBERLAIN, born 1 Feb 1912; married 21 Feb 1935 Col Arthur Terence. Maxwell (born 19 Jan 1905; died 30 Jun 1991); she died 1999;

His mother may be
http://www.william1.co.uk/r16.htm

H2. Naomi Myra Mallock, * 1939, Md.1), Michael Sweatman.
I1. Beatrice Sweatman, * 1966.
I2. Melita Sweatman, * 1968.
Md.2) 1961, Arthur Patrick Maxwell, of East Bergholt, near Colchester, Essex, s. of Col. Arthur Terence Maxwell.

Or
http://www.yasni.co.uk/nicolette+sinclair/check+people
Nicolette Sinclair-Louttit (daughter of Janetta Woolley (b. 1922) and her 1st partner Dr Kenneth Sinclair-Loutit (then married to Thora Silverthorne). She married or was involved at some point (with) Arthur Patrick Maxwell, and had a child Noa (Noa Rupam Maxwell?)
http://spartacus-educational.com/TUloutit.htm [bio of the father]

So
Janetta Woolley md 1stly Hugh Slater, Spanish Civil War veteran, then [partnered with] Dr Kenneth Sinclair-Loutit; they were parents of
1. Nicolette Sinclair-Loutit (b ca 1940-42) who md or was partnered with Arthur Patrick Maxwell, son of Arthur Terrence (or Terrance) Maxwell & Beatrice Diane Chamberlain, dau of Austen Chamberlain
1.1. [possible, not confirmed] Noa Rupam Maxwell (b. 1972) the actor Rupam Maxwell of Ever After (co-starring Drew Barrymore)
No connection here with Derek Ainslie Jackson, the third husband of his maternal grandmother. [Janetta md 2ndly (div by 1950) Robert Kee, md 3rdly 1950 (div 1952) Derek Ainslie Jackson, 1 dau Rose Janetta Jackson (b 1953, a lover of Lucian Freud); and other marriages.
s***@gmail.com
2014-06-16 14:40:56 UTC
I forgot to add the Gathorne-Hardy marriage for Nicolette Sinclair-Loutit (one t, not Louttit).
Post by s***@gmail.com
So
Janetta Woolley md 1stly Hugh Slater, Spanish Civil War veteran, then [partnered with] Dr Kenneth Sinclair-Loutit; they were parents of
1. Nicolette Sinclair-Loutit (b ca 1940-42) who md or was partnered with Arthur Patrick Maxwell, son of Arthur Terrence (or Terrance) Maxwell & Beatrice Diane Chamberlain, dau of Austen Chamberlain. She then married (as his 2nd wife) Jonathan Gathorne-Hardy of the earls of Cranbrook, in 1985 [http://www.thepeerage.com/p23089.htm]
s***@gmail.com
2015-02-26 04:03:13 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
Hi. It's very interesting. I am also researching the Woolley family history in connection with the publication of George Cathcart Woolley diaries of British North Borneo by our Sabah Museum so I am really happy to stumble on this! Mr. Woolley bequeathed a lot of things to us in his will in 1947. Only now we are publishing the first volume of his diaries from 1901-1907; we will end in 1926, then pick up again 1941-1945. The diaries in between have been lost during the war.

In doing the family history/tree, I do not have enough information and would be so grateful if anyone of you out there can help me please, with the following:

i) dates for Sarah Cathcart, wife of George Herbert Woolley,
ii) any issue from Sarah Louisa and Alex Forbes m.Jan. 1907,they went to live in Christchurch, NZ.
iii)information and contacts of the grandchildren Hildegard And Veronica Eyskens, Arthur, Jean, Margaret, Warren Laxton;
iv) Frances Rachel and Marjory Maud - did they marry? To whom?
v) is Janetta still alive?
vi) any possibility of contacting Janetta's children/grandchildren?
vii) The Rev. Woolley's other son from his marriage to Elsie Nichols - Geoffrey Nicholas, born 1946 - any information or contact?

In anticipation ...

Stella Moo-Tan
c***@gmail.com
2018-05-03 23:00:38 UTC