Father Of Elizabeth (I So-Called Queen Of England)?
David Amicus
2015-05-11 06:13:38 UTC
We know she's a bastard. I was just reading that Mark Smeaton was her father.
rc
2015-05-11 06:41:09 UTC
Post by David Amicus
We know she's a bastard. I was just reading that Mark Smeaton was her father.
I don't know what you were reading, but Ann was pregnant before she and Henry were married. It was rumored that Smeaton or one of the other men accused of adultery with her was the father of one of her other pregnancies.
I don't believe it. She was smart enough to ruin a marriage and get a King so she must have been smart enough to make sure all her children were his.
She might have had affairs while she was pregnant, but sexual intercourse was said to harm the fetus. She was desperate to have a male child and she would never have taken a chance on losing a baby. Unfortunately, she did.

RC
David Amicus
2015-05-11 19:35:00 UTC
It was good Queen Mary who said that Smeaton was the bastard's father.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Smeaton
rc
2015-05-12 01:45:09 UTC
Post by David Amicus
It was good Queen Mary who said that Smeaton was the bastard's father.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Smeaton
Of course Mary would say that. She hated Ann and with good reason. Ann treated her horribly. But, just because Mary would do anything to blacken Ann's reputation even more doesn't make it true.

RC
rc
2015-05-12 01:51:41 UTC
Post by rc
Post by David Amicus
It was good Queen Mary who said that Smeaton was the bastard's father.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Smeaton
Of course Mary would say that. She hated Ann and with good reason. Ann treated her horribly. But, just because Mary would do anything to blacken Ann's reputation even more doesn't make it true.
RC
One more thing, I forgot to mention Elizabeth looked just like Henry. That is mentioned by primary sources and can be seen in her portraits.

rc
David Amicus
2015-05-12 19:27:05 UTC
Maybe Henry was not the father of the concubine's pregnancies after Elizabeth?
rc
2015-05-18 18:40:07 UTC
Post by David Amicus
Maybe Henry was not the father of the concubine's pregnancies after Elizabeth?
Of course Henry was the father of Anns pregnancies. As I said before, she was smart enough to make sure all her children were Henry's. Look at the evidence against her. She was accused of adultery two or three days after the birth of Elizabeth and one man wasn't in the area when she was accused with him.
Henry even makes a statement. If he really thought she was unfaithful, he would have had her burned at the stake, (which was the law). Instead, he had her beheaded by a French swordsman instead of the ax. Smeaton's sentence was commuted to beheading instead of hanged, drawn, and quartered.
Henry wanted her gone, he wanted her dead so he would be a widower and there would be absolutely no question of legitimacy of Jane Seymour's children.
Henry always got what he wanted.