Kaiser?
David Amicus
2018-02-27 01:57:36 UTC
The Emperor of Germany was called Kaiser.

But what about the Emperor of Austria, was he called Kaiser also? Or as heir to the Roman Empire was he called Imperator?
D***@teikyopost.edu
2018-02-27 04:05:18 UTC
Post by David Amicus
The Emperor of Germany was called Kaiser.
But what about the Emperor of Austria, was he called Kaiser also? Or as heir to the Roman Empire was he called Imperator?
The Emperor of Austria was also called Kaiser.

The Encyclopaedia Britannica article on Prince Eugene of Savoy

http://www.gwleibniz.com/britannica_pages/eugene_savoy/eugene_savoy.html

contains the following:

"Even as he faced a world of foes before him, he had a world of enemies
at his back, nourished by the 'hereditary curse' of Austria: slothful
souls and thoughtless minds, low intrigue, envy, jealousy, foolishness,
and dishonesty. He served three emperors: Leopold I, Joseph I, and
Charles VI. Toward the end of his life, Eugene observed that, whereas
the first had been a father to him and the second a brother, the third
(who was perhaps least worthy of so great a servant) had been a master."

The end of the article contains the initials A.L.-Ho. In the index of
contributors, these initials correspond to Alexander Marie Norbert
Lernet-Holenia (1897-1976), a very famous Austrian writer, dramatist and
poet.

I admire Lernet-Holenia for being so forthright in describing the
aristocracy that destroyed Europe. Has the "hereditary curse" of Austria
been mentioned by other writers, or was this phrase coined by
Lernet-Holenia?
g***@gmail.com
The public in foreign counteies more and more understand by Kaiser the Prussian one, who however was not Kaiser but German Kaiser
David Amicus
Thanks
n***@gmail.com
2018-02-27 23:45:28 UTC
Post by David Amicus
The Emperor of Germany was called Kaiser.
But what about the Emperor of Austria, was he called Kaiser also? Or as heir to the Roman Empire was he
called Imperator?
It is not an or.

In German they, and all other Emperors, were called Kaiser because Kaiser is the German word for Emperor. In Latin they, and all other Emperors, were called Imperator amongst other titles.

I don;t now why we call the German Emperors Kaiser in English. I suspect that British propaganda is most of the answer.

Nick
David Amicus