Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark
c***@yahoo.com
2016-12-12 04:07:13 UTC
Why was Philip obliged to renounce his title? It seems Prince of Greece and Denmark is a fine title. I think he also had to renounce his right in the Greek succession. Was it that the King did not Philip to have any titles that might be associated with Germany? Or that Philip might be a king of Greece while only his wife would be the sovereign in the UK? It's my understanding a Prince of Greece and Denmark is not in the line of succession in Denmark.
Count Gudenus
2016-12-12 08:42:27 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Why was Philip obliged to renounce his title? It seems Prince of Greece and Denmark is a fine title. I think he also had to renounce his right in the Greek succession. Was it that the King did not Philip to have any titles that might be associated with Germany? Or that Philip might be a king of Greece while only his wife would be the sovereign in the UK? It's my understanding a Prince of Greece and Denmark is not in the line of succession in Denmark.
of G and of D?
Id est two times of?
Donald4564
2016-12-12 19:51:26 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Why was Philip obliged to renounce his title? It seems Prince of Greece and Denmark is a fine title. I think he also had to renounce his right in the Greek succession. Was it that the King did not Philip to have any titles that might be associated with Germany? Or that Philip might be a king of Greece while only his wife would be the sovereign in the UK? It's my understanding a Prince of Greece and Denmark is not in the line of succession in Denmark.
I think that in the days before dual nationality was rife, it was common for those seeking to change their nationality to renounce any former nationality. In Prince Phillip's case his renunciation in order to become a British Subject would include giving up being subject of the sovereigns of either Denmark or Greece. In so doing he also had to forego any titles with which he was bestowed relevant to those two countries.

Regards
Donald Binks
Louis Epstein
2016-12-12 20:13:04 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Why was Philip obliged to renounce his title? It seems Prince of
Greece and Denmark is a fine title. I think he also had to renounce his
right in the Greek succession. Was it that the King did not Philip to
have any titles that might be associated with Germany? Or that Philip
might be a king of Greece while only his wife would be the sovereign in
the UK? It's my understanding a Prince of Greece and Denmark is not in
the line of succession in Denmark.
The Danish constitutional arrangements now restrict succession to
descendants of Christian X,but that was not the case in 1947 when
Philip wrongly thought he needed to be naturalized (since the
Hanoverian lawsuit that established that until the 1948 repeal of
the Sophia Naturalization Act,all descendants of Electress Sophia
were possessed of British nationality by birth,had not yet been
brought).Renouncing foreign titles is a fairly standard incidental
of naturalization.

As to whether the renunciation was valid,it appears to have been
accepted by George II of Greece but there is no clear evidence
that Christian X of Denmark was even asked.(He died between the
naturalization and the wedding in 1947).

-=-=-