Queen Consort of different kingdoms
Chris Pitt Lewis
2004-04-12 23:42:33 UTC
The daughters of Ptolemy VIII of Egypt can beat that. Between them the
three Ptolemaic princesses were queens a total of 8 times.
Tryphaena m. Antiochus VIII Grypos of Syria
Cleopatra IV m. her brother Ptolemy IX; 2nd Antiochus IX Kyzikenos.
Cleopatra Selene m. her brother Ptolemy IX; 2nd her brother Ptolemy X
Alexander I; 3rd Antiochus VIII Grypos; 4th Antiochus IX Kyzikenos;
5th Antiochus X Eusebes (her own nephew!)
So Cleopatra Selene, through different husbands, was Queen Consort of
two different states, Egypt and Syria.

Eleanor of Aquitaine managed the same feat (m.(1) Louis VII of France
and (2) Henry II of England).

So did Galla Placidia in the 5th century. She was married successively
to Ataulf King of the Visigoths and the Western Roman Emperor
Constantius III, and was later Regent of the Western Empire for her son
Valentinian III.

Are there any other examples? I am sure there must be, but I can't
immediately think of any.

there is at least one non-royal case, Graça Machel, married successively
to Presidents Samora Machel of Mozambique and Nelson Mandela of South
Africa.
Chris Pitt Lewis
jlk7e
2004-04-13 05:29:03 UTC
Post by Chris Pitt Lewis
[...]
Hmm...Mary Queen of Scots was Queen-Consort of France and
Queen-regnant of Scotland...but not quite right
Gidzmo
2004-04-13 17:44:31 UTC
Mary Queen of Scots was Queen-Consort of France and Queen-Regnant of Scotland.
And (according to some) Queen-Regnant of England, as well.
Xchamber10r1x
2004-04-13 23:45:05 UTC
Mary Queen of Scots was Queen-Consort of France and Queen-Regnant of Scotland.

And (according to some) Queen-Regnant of England, as well.

I've heard that rumour about Elizabeth and Mary before...rather odd it's
survived these years
Tim Cook
2004-04-14 00:10:28 UTC
Post by jlk7e
Post by Chris Pitt Lewis
[...]
How about Christine of Denmark (1521-1590)? Does she qualify for your
question? Someone may have already mentioned her. For some reason I do not
get all of the posts.

-Tim
Frank R.A.J. Maloney
2004-04-14 00:18:56 UTC
"Tim Cook" <***@gvn.net> wrote in message news:***@corp.supernews.com...

[deletions]
Post by Tim Cook
How about Christine of Denmark (1521-1590)? Does she qualify for your
question? Someone may have already mentioned her. For some reason I do not
get all of the posts.
Or for that matter Maria Theresa of Austria, Bohemia, Hungary, and the HRE?
--
Frank in Seattle

___________

Frank Richard Aloysius Jude Maloney

"I leave you now in radiant contentment"
-- "Whistling in the Dark"
Stephen Stillwell/Tom Wilding
2004-04-14 01:13:39 UTC
Post by Frank R.A.J. Maloney
[deletions]
Post by Tim Cook
get all of the posts.
Or for that matter Maria Theresa of Austria, Bohemia, Hungary, and the HRE?
--
Frank in Seattle
Maria Theresa was King of Hungary; they would not accept a Queen Regnant.
She was Queen of Bohemia, Archduchess of Austria, etc. She was HRE-consort.
Franz was the Emperor and co-Regent for the Austrian lands. Don't know what
he was called in Hungary.

-- Stephen Stillwell
Bubbablue
2004-04-14 05:23:22 UTC
Post by Stephen Stillwell/Tom Wilding
Maria Theresa was King of Hungary; they would not accept a Queen Regnant.
She was Queen of Bohemia, Archduchess of Austria, etc. She was HRE-consort.
Franz was the Emperor and co-Regent for the Austrian lands. Don't know what
he was called in Hungary.
Knowing what the Hungarians thought of being ruled by the Austrians,
Franz was probably called a lot of names that wouldn't be appropriate
for a.t.r.!

wd40
Frank R.A.J. Maloney
2004-04-14 16:35:26 UTC
Post by Stephen Stillwell/Tom Wilding
Post by Frank R.A.J. Maloney
[deletions]
Post by Frank R.A.J. Maloney
--
Frank in Seattle
Maria Theresa was King of Hungary; they would not accept a Queen Regnant.
She was Queen of Bohemia, Archduchess of Austria, etc. She was HRE-consort.
Franz was the Emperor and co-Regent for the Austrian lands. Don't know what
he was called in Hungary.
Maria Theresa was also co-regent with her son Joseph II, I believe.
--
Frank in Seattle

___________

-- "Whistling in the Dark"
.:Nichol:.
2004-04-16 03:34:16 UTC
Post by Chris Pitt Lewis
The daughters of Ptolemy VIII of Egypt can beat that. Between them the
three Ptolemaic princesses were queens a total of 8 times.
Tryphaena m. Antiochus VIII Grypos of Syria
Cleopatra IV m. her brother Ptolemy IX; 2nd Antiochus IX Kyzikenos.
Cleopatra Selene m. her brother Ptolemy IX; 2nd her brother Ptolemy X
Alexander I; 3rd Antiochus VIII Grypos; 4th Antiochus IX Kyzikenos;
5th Antiochus X Eusebes (her own nephew!)
So Cleopatra Selene, through different husbands, was Queen Consort of
two different states, Egypt and Syria.
That's right; she was queen of Egypt twice and queen of Syria three
times. Her sister Cleopatra IV managed the same feat, but not quite on
the same scale, being queen of each country only once each. I'm pretty
sure Cleopatra Selene holds some sort of record for being a
five-times-queen.

Other Ptolemaic princesses managed pretty well with the thrones.
Arsinoe II was queen of Thrace, then briefly queen of Macedon thanks
to a marriage to her half-brother and then queen of Egypt thanks to a
marriage to her full brother. Cleopatra II was queen of Egypt twice,
due to successive marriages to both her brothers. Her daughter
Cleopatra Thea married three Syrian kings. Berenice III (the daughter
of Cleopatra Selene) was another double-queen of Egypt, due to
marriages with her uncle and half-brother.