Napoleon in Polish National Anthem - Other Examples?
The Chief
2015-02-23 03:50:52 UTC
I was listening to the absolutely wonderful Polish national anthem this weekend, and noticed that it specifically mentions Napoleon by name. Any other similar examples in other national anthems?

Link for a stirring rendition of "Poland is Not Yet Lost!"
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KIo.DMoupU8UcA3u77w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTByZjF2ZHFmBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDNw--?p=Polish+National+Anthem&vid=c529fa6007719b52863cb61615d5e008&l=5%3A24&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DVN.607998736288122855%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQoEiIHHKkrk&tit=The+National+Anthem+of+Poland+-+Mazurek+DÄ…browskiego&c=6&sigr=11bqrtcip&sigt=11lsdit6c&sigi=11r2k58q9&age=1349486266&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=aaplw&tt=b

Regards,
The Chief
Count Gudenus
2015-02-23 05:44:41 UTC
At least D was a General of N, if N's name is mentionned?
The Chief
2015-02-23 06:25:42 UTC
Post by Count Gudenus
At least D was a General of N, if N's name is mentionned?
By "D" I presume you mean General Dabrowski, the commander of the Polish troops in French service, in Italy?

"N" appears in the anthem as "Bonaparte" - it was composed during the republican period, when General Bonaparte held command in Italy.

Regards,
The Chief
o***@gmail.com
2015-02-23 09:15:12 UTC
The Dutch National Anthem contains the words 'to the King of Spain I've pledged lifelong loyalty.'
Count Gudenus
2015-02-23 11:18:12 UTC
Antem goes obviously back when the Lowlands - in Dutch Netherlands - belonged to the King of Spain
The Chief
2015-02-23 18:44:45 UTC
Post by o***@gmail.com
The Dutch National Anthem contains the words 'to the King of Spain I've pledged lifelong loyalty.'
Well, we all know how much that was worth.
As the Dutch still pledge this loyalty when they sing the anthem, perhaps the King of Spain should send in the Inquisition and sort them out...

Regards,
The Chief
b***@gmail.com
2017-02-07 21:06:49 UTC
The Norwegian anthem mentions anti-Papal resistance, referring to king Sverre and Pope Innocent III placing Norway under interdict.