Danish Royalty Illegitimate Children
Jeff and Kitty Gill
2005-07-28 19:23:45 UTC
Hi there,

I'm doing a family tree of my husband's family and I've hit a road block.

His father, before he passed away, seemed to think that his side of the
family was related (illegitimately) to Christian IX of Denmark. I have
searched and searched and I don't see him having any illegitimate children.

Because of this I'm starting to think that maybe he *IS* related to another
member of the Danish Royal Family (illegitimately of course) but I can't
find anything that really fits.

Here's what I have, and I'm hoping that someone on here can help.

Christian IX had a mistress from Schleswig-Holstein. She had twin boys.
One of these boys was named 'Frederick'. This boy had a son named Emil
Holstein who was a ships engineer on the SS Taw. Emil married a Candida
Freley (spelled different ways).

Now, my quandry is:

1) Were there twin boys? And if there was were they the sons of Frederick
or of Christian and his mistress?

2) What was this mistresses name (if there was one)

3) What was Frederick's wife's name?

Emil was born somwhere between 1856 and 1860 and he died in c.1912. He
married in the Virgin Islands. Now, we *HAVE* discovered that Emil was the
ships engineer (which explains how he ended up at the Virgin Islands).

I haven't found anything much about Frederick, except that he is named on
Emil's birth certificate. Frederick's mother remains an enigma. If we can
determine who she was, we can probably figure out if she had an affair with
either Christian IX or one of the other members of the Danish royal family.

Sorry for the long post, but it's been bugging the family for a while. :)

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Kitty
k***@politik.dk
2005-07-29 09:12:35 UTC
There are no publicly recognized illegitimate descendants of King
Christian IX (as in contrast to Christian IV, Frederik III, Christian
V, Frederik IV, Frederik VI, etc.), and neither has he generally been
credited with any such (as opposed to, e.g., Frederik V and Hereditary
Prince Frederik Ferdinand). This does, of course, not rule it out, but
I have to say that I tend--as a Dane and as a (amateur-)genealogist,
who have looked into several such cases--to be extremely skeptical
about such claims. Many such claims seem, under closer scrutiny,
really to be attempts to explain away children born out of wedlock, but
where the harsh realities were far less exotic. (For example, Frederik
VII, has for a century and a half been credited with a large number of
supposed children by people who have "heard" that he had had an affair
with their mother/grandmother/great-... ... , but the reality seems
much more likely to be that he actually was incapable of fathering
children.) Finally, I have to add that absent some really startling
revelations from previously unknown papers of the royal family (and
such do probably exist), the probability that any such illegitimate
royal descent not already known will be able to be documented is close
to nill.

Best wishes,

Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
h***@aol.com
Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
h***@aol.com
2005-07-29 13:08:08 UTC
Post by k***@politik.dk
[...]
Agree with above, but what about Thyra's illegitimate child--if that
story has any validity.
k***@politik.dk
2005-07-29 16:50:49 UTC
This question has been discussed here on several occasions over the
last decade. My view is that 1) it may very well be true, but 2) *no*
evidence whatsoever has been produced to support it, and 3) the only
source making specific, substantial claims (Bo Bramsen) never produced
anything to back up his claims and in fact changed so many central
parts of the story from one edition of his book to another, that he
undermined his own credibility as a source.

Best wishes,

Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
Jeff and Kitty Gill
2005-07-29 22:51:24 UTC
That is pretty much the conclusion that we have reached here, however, we
are starting to think that maybe it's a member of the royal family (maybe
not a King), however, this is the information that we were given (verbatim).
This could be completely inaccurate, but since you are in Denmark and
probably know more about the royal family than we do, I thought we'd tell
you.

Name: Emile Holstein (Given that he's a Dane, it's probably Emil)
Sex: M
Birth: 1856 in Fleuburg or Flensburg?, Schleswig-Holstein
Death: 1903 at sea or in Granada
Occupation: Marine Engineer
Note: Believe to be one of illegitimate twins born to Christian IX of
Denmark and a Lady of the court of Schelswig-Holstein. The twins were given
professions as Marine Engineers. Emil worked on a ship. When Wmile died he
was drowned at sea. They(?) could not afford the money to bury him and the
Catholic Chruch refused to bury him. In 1906 the Anglican Chruch buried
him. The Catholic Church later decreed that all his direct(?) descendants
were to be provided with free education (in Jesuit schools?).

Now, we have an email that clears up SOME of the information.

Emil was born in 1861 or 1860. His FATHER was named Frederick (marriage and
death certs. of Emil). Now, what we're thinking is that his father is
either one of the royal family *OR* the illegitimate child of the royal
family. Emil was an engineer on a tug. We have him working on the SS Taw,
but knowing the writing of the time, it's probably a misinterpretation.

We do NOT have Emil's mother's name. This is where we are stuck. This
would help us to determine whether he was related to a member of the royal
family (legitimate or otherwise). Emil appears to have been born in the
Virgin Islands, or arrived there shortly after he was born.

If we need to move this to another forum, please let us know of the forum
you are moving to, or email us at calypso 00 @ rogers dot com. :)

Thanks, your input would be appreciated.

John
Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
Count Gudenus
2015-02-11 17:58:23 UTC
One is a well known descendant of F VI - by Fru Dannemand!
j***@gmail.com
2015-02-11 18:43:12 UTC
Post by Count Gudenus
Post by k***@politik.dk
There are no publicly recognized illegitimate descendants of King
Christian IX (as in contrast to C
Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
One is a well known descendant of F VI - by Fru Dannemand!
Hello!

What is the name of this descendant?
Are you in Denmark? I am researching family history and cannot understand the documents available online (language barrier). If ever you would have time to read a short family history, your perspective or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This document is the compiled history as handed down through our family and recorded several decades ago but people who were close to out Danish immigrant generation http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17577375/person/528711981/media

Thank you
LJ
Count Gudenus
2015-02-11 19:45:24 UTC
Post by Count Gudenus
Post by k***@politik.dk
There are no publicly recognized illegitimate descendants of King
Christian IX (as in contrast to C
Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
One is a well known descendant of F VI - by Fru Dannemand!
Hello Cowboy!
Look it up.! Living in Paris!

Count Gudenus, born in Copenhagen!
Count Gudenus
2015-02-12 09:37:15 UTC
Post by Count Gudenus
Post by Count Gudenus
Post by k***@politik.dk
There are no publicly recognized illegitimate descendants of King
Christian IX (as in contrast to C
Peter Kurrild-Klitgaard
One is a well known descendant of F VI - by Fru Dannemand!
Hello Cowboy!
Look it up.! Living in Paris!
Fru is here the translation of Madame, best known Madame de Pompadour
j***@gmail.com
2015-02-11 18:37:50 UTC
Post by k***@politik.dk
[...]
Hello Peter,
First, wonderful to connect with you!Our Danish family history includes three boys, a pair a twins and a brother. The twins were named Hans and Vischoff and the other boy was Peter. The last name is supposed to be Moller. Peter's daughter married a man, Frederick Outsen (or Outzen which later became Hansen) who was said to be the son of King Frederick (no number) and a mistress (also named once as Margrethe, Grevinde of Dogmors or Damgaard). The twins were said to be often confused by the queen (document doesn't say which one nor the relationship to the queen) and she put ribbons on their wrists to tell them apart. I have a family history as documented as handed down through the generations posted on my ancestry.com page linked to Johann Ferdinand Hansen (which was also Outsen or Outzen in Denmark). As a Dane and amateur genealogist, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this document and any suggestions for how to further research these ancestors. http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17577375/person/528711981/media
By the way, I completely understand that many people had stories of royal roots that are ultimately not true and we have no interest in anything more than the facts. This document includes detailed information that may lead to a truth that is just as interesting!
b***@gmail.com
2017-04-06 20:07:01 UTC
The Prince of Nör (here link to English Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Frederick_of_Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg) was of course a distant cousin of Christian IX from the Augustenborg branch of the dynasty.

This "Margrethe, Grevinde of Dogmors or Damgaard" sounds unlikely too. There are no counts or countesses of Dogmors (meant to be Dagmars?) or Damgaard (common farm name), neither in Denmark nor in Schleswig-Holstein. The name Margrethe, once popular in the Middle Ages, did not come back in fashion untill ca. 1900. Seems like a ripoff of the famous royal mistresses Madame Colonel Dannemand and Countess Danner.
Andrea
2014-04-15 01:17:33 UTC
Hi,
Sorry if this is really random, but we're all relatives! I'm working on this same family tree, but I'm going off the information of another cousin. My grandmother (not from this shared side of the family, but she's the resident genealogist in my family) has been in contact with Mike Rayside about all of this.He has a family tree here that has some interesting --revelations.http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/a/y/Mike-Rayside-Victoria/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0125.html.
We also have a tree going on ancestry: http://trees.ancestry.ca/tree/50289663/family

I am a descendant of Louisa Holstein, Emile's 3rd child. What we've picked apart is that the twins (if there were in fact two) are descendants of Frederick VIII and a noble lady of the court listed here as Adelaide Fischer, but what is more likely "Adelheid". Fischer is actually the name of an ancient Danish noble family so this sort of adds to the validity of the fact that Emile was the off-spring of a Danish Royal and a Danish Noble. All we know about Adelheid is that she was born ~1845, making her 16 when the twins were born (Fredrick would have been ~18). I've tried picking through the Census to find out more about her but I haven't gotten anywhere-I don't understand the county or parish system enough to blunder my way through: http://www.ddd.dda.dk/kiplink_en.htm

I can't substantiate any of this, but seeing as Emile's first child was named "Adelaide", it lends some credibility to the existence of the mother's identity. I'm wondering of someone maybe got the name off of a birth/death certificate and just never bothered to share that tidbit of info. We have a photo of Emile and Candida, it's up on ancestry now.

Hopefully, you can make something of this info.
Happy hunting!
j***@gmail.com
2015-02-11 17:19:51 UTC
Post by Andrea
[...]
Hello,

My family has a similar story! Family from Schleswig/Holstein. The twins are mentioned in a family history I will post to my ancestry.com info shortly. The twins had a brother and he had a daughter that married a man recorded as being the child of King Frederick. I don't know if the twins were the children of a king or another royal or nobility but the family story documented says the queen had trouble telling them apart. I am also having difficulty finding documents to verify the generations closest to the king. Ancestry.com has plenty of information, but it is in Danish and so many people have the same names, I've had no success in sorting it out.
If anyone is interested in getting an ancestry.com genealogist to help, maybe we could make it a group effort (very small crowd source!).

Look for the family documents I have on my tree - this link should work: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/17577375/family/pedigree
Otherwise, search Johann F. Hansen (Bow, WA, Racine, WI, Denmark) or email me and I can send it directly.

Please let me know if you learn more and I will do the same!

Best,
LJ
j***@gmail.com

LJ
The Chief
2015-02-11 23:00:53 UTC
Post by Jeff and Kitty Gill
[...]
Gelding. Gelding is the answer.

Regards,
The Chief
Louis Epstein
2015-02-13 00:56:14 UTC
Post by The Chief
Gelding. Gelding is the answer.
Regards,
The Chief
Have you undergone this process?
Can we be sure that your eagerly prayed-for demise
will rid the world of "Chiefs" seditiously disrespecting
the Crown?

k***@gmail.com
2016-11-03 18:22:23 UTC
I am also seeking information about an ancestor of mine who is said to be an illegitimate daughter of King Frederick VIII of Denmark. We know that her name was Laura Otellia and that she married Bager Magnus Moeller (aka Baker Martin Miller). King Christian X attended their 75th wedding anniversary celebration, and gave them royal silverware, which has been passed down to my mother and aunt, whose maiden names are Miller. Laura Otellia is my great, great grandmother, and if the lineage is correct, that would make Frederick VIII my great, great, great grandfather.
Count Gudenus
2016-11-03 18:41:34 UTC
Post by k***@gmail.com
I am also seeking information about an ancestor of mine who is said to be an illegitimate daughter of King Frederick VIII of Denmark. We know that her name was Laura Otellia and that she married Bager Magnus Moeller (aka Baker Martin Miller). King Christian X attended their 75th wedding anniversary celebration, and gave them royal silverware, which has been passed down to my mother and aunt, whose maiden names are Miller. Laura Otellia is my great, great grandmother, and if the lineage is correct, that would make Frederick VIII my great, great, great grandfather.
read:
M... M..., a baker
n***@gmail.com
2016-12-11 07:30:02 UTC
Ive recently come across a similar story, im related to Walkers and Renfroes especially from the side (Matriarchal) in question.
v***@gmail.com
2017-03-25 04:24:24 UTC
It seems I'm related to some of you! I am descended from Lars Peter Johnson who seems to be the brother of the twins mentioned above and an alleged bastard of Fredrick VIII. He was a busy man!
Count Gudenus
2017-03-25 10:17:14 UTC
Post by Jeff and Kitty Gill
Hi there,
Cowgirl there,
there exist several kinds of "illegitimates", in all cases no right to succed to the dynastical title, &c.

The "tradition" gives no right to the present head of State of Denmark to succed. That does not mean that females descendancies in all cases are totally excluded.

See Maria Theresia, Rex Apostolicus of Hungary, Archidux of Austria.

See the Duke of Hohenberg, only entitled to succeed in not dynasitcal titles, just entitled to succeed in his private fortune, including the Archduke'Archives.

See Frederick VI of Denmark children by Fru/Madame Dannemand, originally quite certainly a street-girl, but not necessarily a prostitute, but certainly at least a call-girl; some time a kept woman.

Then existed all kind of ... In German is used the word "Beischläferin". The origin of the princes of Löwenstein goes back to the "activities" of such a (Bei)Schläferin. Above Duke's father had such a person, of Czech origin. The Countess of Chotek, later the murdered first Duchess of Hohenberg, mother of above first Duke of Hohenberg, is *not* to be understood to be this female person.
b***@gmail.com
2017-04-06 19:54:17 UTC
Kitty, the story and the names (Frederik, Emil, Carmelita / Candida) sound too much like the story of Prince Frederik of Nör and his son: https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_af_N%C3%B8r
Somebody probably just copied it to give a veneer of mysterious respectability to their ordinary illegitimate origins.

Pluss they borrowed the (von) Holstein name (real name of several noble families) from the husband of Princess Thyra's alleged daughter: Frode Pløyen-Holstein.

Besides there were no noble Danish or Schleswig-Holsteinian family called Fischer.

The strict and private Christian X attending some baker's birthday party sounds highly unlikely.
b***@gmail.com
2017-04-06 20:12:47 UTC
OK, a little quick on the Fischers there:
There are still extant Danish noble families called De Fischer and Fischer-Benzon. See List of Danish nobel families: https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danske_adelssl%C3%A6gter#F
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_de_Fischer
http://www.fischerholm.dk/winfam/wholm/per00381.htm
https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer%E2%80%91Benzon